Motorcyclemama

Take a look here for your work!

This guy was on our (Etsy Chainmaillers' Guild) Yahoo group list, though not in the guild, and was yesterday banned from the group. Seems he thought he could just be rude to one person but didn't want to take on the entire mailling community. *fist bumps all*

He asked to apologize to my group as well.

Also wanted to add, I use a plugin for Firefox (apparently available for IE as well) called Web of Trust (WOT). Users can rate sites for vendor reliability, privacy, trustorthiness, etc. It's a great tool in your virus/spyware protection arsenal, as well as a way to protest something like this (which my guild seems to have done, since the site's rating has plummeted since I was the first to comment on it yesterday). A sort of website Better Business Bureau.

http://www.mywot.com

Could someone direct this fellow to the Mail and TRL discussion boards?

and posibly a few tutorials on how to take quality photos?

I sounds like this person will be back and provideing some guidence now would help avoid problems in the future.

I directed them to the Forum when they offered to give a public apology. I assumed they were going to post this themselves... maybe I misunderstood. Based on the wording and now the delay since I got this I'm confused as to whether they meant me to post this. Since they haven't posted perhaps they meant me to post it for them - here you go.

"Over the resent few days, there was a web site put up in my name. From Armor To Elegance. at webs .com. Someone in my employ was responsible for this shambles. Unfortunately there were some very serious wrongs done. Pictures were posted that belonged to other people with out there permission. By the time i found out about this there were several angery comments made. I wish to PUBLICLY APOLOGISE IN THE FORUM. I have rectified this by taking everything in that site out, all of it and this will not happen again as the person was dismissed right away. I can not tell everyone just how sorry i am. The Ring Lord, has been very good to me as have many of the people who have posted pictures and answers to my many questions. I would never post something that was not mine. in the 9 years i have worked in chainmaille i have never had a website. I do not intend to have a website. Again Please accept MY apologies it was wrong, and will not happen again.

Sincerly

Rev. Robert Sheppard"

If I wasn't meant to post this I apologize. I just thought it might help the people who are very upset at him.

Thanks for publishing that, Bernice. That was nice of him/them.....but still doesn't "excuse" what he said in the email(s) to MM. Nor does it give a real clear answer as to why he said what he said in his photo "comments". Not trying to fight anyone's battles here, just giving my opinion....which I am entitled to.

.....but when you are publicly called out and consequently pwned....own up. Don't make excuses, there, Reverend, nor blame someone who was in your employ. Was your employee commenting for you or responding to your emails? I called bullshit if you say they were.

I will thank you (and I am sure I am not alone, here) for taking down pictures that were not yours. *That* was the right thing to do, even if it took you some time to do so.

Hope the rest of your stay here, in our community, is a pleasant one.

I know this issue was resolved but I thought I would make a quick post anyway.

Intelectual privacy laws are complicated but you should defend your copyrights despite 'free advertising' as not doing so could lead to problems defending it in other cases.

Often this type of theft is done by cheap web design copanies. However, that is no excuse for not knowing where the obtained the images or the terrible attitude this guy had.

When sending an informal letter it can help to indicate you are prepaired to take legal action. And don't hesitate to issue a DMCA takedown notice or cease and decist letter (always send a copy to the host) if they are anything but coopretive.

If I got the response of 'I will see what I can do to take them down *for now*' I would respond with a DMCA takedown notice. There should be no playing games with business.

After reading through that website, all I really have to say about it is, every english teacher I know is cringing because of this goob's mangling of the english language.

:wine:

He may have removed the photo's from his site but he still left a nasty blog message up regarding those that contacted him.

http://reverendrobertsheppard.webs.com/apps/blog/

So much for his apology. Gotta love the fact that it's just not his fault.... lol

I don't think anyone here should really concern themselves with that. He is painting a picture of himself as being very unprofessional and potential customers will see this. He is shooting himself in the foot with that blog and it really doesn't affect anyone else.

Potential Response A: I'm so glad he takes such a generous view of sharing things online. I can't wait until I can stea-er, borrow some of his content for my site. Now I just have to wait until he posts something worth stea-er, taking inspiration from.

Potential Response B: This guy has some real balls posting that. He must have big balls, cause he's certainly been a huge dick so far.

Potential Response C: *offer a reasoned explanation about how misappropriating images isn't cool, and that an artist's lifeblood is the work they create, and taking an artist's work is tantamount to taking food out of their mouths, and how he exacerbated the whole situation by his arrogant belligerence, and really we're easy-going people when our livelihood isn't being threatened*

Potential Response D: *throw an e-brick through his virtual window*

Potential Response E: *sit in the corner crying at the realization that I'm a boorish coward who is too angry at the world and themselves to let a wrongly-persecuted fella off the hook for doing something, nay, allowing something to happen that he clearly had no control over, and getting all up ins when he didn't immediately start dancing to our heinous tune of revenge and had the courage and fortitude to stand up to us, The Man*

Hmm....decisions, decisions...

-phong

Thanks very much :)

I sent a message to the *** telling him I was aware of the theft and that I would be keeping an eye on him.