hellhoundK

steampunk

I hate to say it, but you could probably tie into that "Wild, Wild, West" maille-lined vest thing. That movie was ahead of the steampunk wave, but it fits perfectly...

Don't bite my head off, everyone, I know maille doesn't stop bullets!

Blaise commented:

I hate to say it, but you could probably tie into that "Wild, Wild, West" maille-lined vest thing. That movie was ahead of the steampunk wave, but it fits perfectly...

Don't bite my head off, everyone, I know maille doesn't stop bullets!

You also don't use knitting needles to make it either. :rolleyes:

Great pictures by the way, they've given me some great ideas.

:wine:

what's the cheapest way to plate steel with brass?

You're looking at brazing... IDK off-hand how 'cheap' or rather, inexpensive it is. You'll need brazing material, and a torch that outputs enough heat to not only melt your brass, but to heat the brazed material enough to get good bonding. All the brazing I've done (which is very limited, mind you) has been done for a shop, so I didn't have to pay for materials, and I had access to rosebud tips for the acetylene torches.

If memory serves me, Shiz is probably one of the guys you'll want to talk with about it, as I'm pretty sure he's quite knowledgeable about brazing and the costs involved.

You may also want to stop by your local welding shop and/or welding supply shop and see what they can tell you about it.

SG

As far as steamy merch, think chains, rather than sheets.

- Watch chains for the pocket watch

- wallet chains

- monocle chain

etc.

Also jewelry for the ladies (and some gentlemen).

Sheet goods could be used as decorative additions to clothing ... perhaps a brass E4-1 hatband, or patches on a dive suit costume.

As far as metal goes, brass is a no-brainer, but copper and bronze could work too. Black and gold AA together would be spiffy.

My first big mail project is going to be a bronze vest. Not armor, but a tailored lady's suit vest. If done in brass, with an off- white Victorian "waist" (blouse) underneath and a long skirt and jacket, it would be the epitome of steampunk.

--Liz

who got interested in steampunk a year before I got interested in mail

Actually that movie was way behind the steampunk times. A much better example is Walt Disney's version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Victorians were pretty wild about anything historical (although slightly less so about historical accuracy). Whiting and Davis made maille mesh accessories, the most mainstream of these were purses and bags.

Here's a couple things I made last year, not much, but it's a start. I'm going to make a new chain for the necklace.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

while yes i am interested in this topic, no it was not what i meant :) i mean like electroplating hardened mild steel with brass. think painting but at the magic level :)

To the best of my knowledge, electroplating is usually only be done with elemental metals, not alloys of which brass and bronze belong. This is because reducing the cations of an alloy onto the cathode will be difficult due to the separation of the various elemental ions in solution. Copper and, in the case of brass, zinc, both have different current and potential difference requirements to allow for simultaneous reduction at the appropriate rates.

There is suggestion of brass electroplating requiring cyanide solutions, but I was unable to find any reliable supporting evidence. Such a method would most certainly be a great deal more expensive than single element electroplating.

Brazing, if done properly, should be sufficient for coating steel with brass, as it can provide a very good bond with the plated metal. It will also most likely be quite inexpensive compared to electroplating as all you need is brass and a heat source, rather than a chemical bath apparatus, or paying someone to use theirs.

SG