Bernice Daniels

Pre-bagged Product Benefits

This info has been said before but not all in one place. I thought I'd do a recap and show you the bags.

For those who feel out of the loop - as of mid June of this year we started using a packaging machine to pre-package rings. before this all products were sold by weight.

bag_front.jpg

back of a mixed bag:

TRL_00121.jpg

Notes about bags:

• bagged rings are faster to package than bulk. This means your order will be picked faster and we can ship faster.
  • bagged rings can be hung by the hole punch. So you don't have to come up with a storage system - just get a peg board and some pegs.
  • bagged rings are labeled
  • bagged rings are sold by rings count (although they also list the weight). We count exact weights here and program the machine very precisely. It should never short a bag and always go over in terms of weight count.
  • these bags are great to resell or have some on hand if you sell jewelry at fairs and have people ask about supplies.
  • you will be able to skip the step of figuring out the weight of a piece and just order by ring count.
  • packaging accuracy will be increased. Having bins full of bags will prevent the possibility of accidentally dumping the wrong rings into a bin and contaminating a bin.
  • we use a very nice clear plastic that is very strong. It seals well and shouldn't have any issues in transport. It also doesn't alter the color of the rings very much if at all thru the plastic.

Please note: the price of our products has not changed. I got this question right off the bat.

Before our site looked like you had to buy a full pound of a rings and then you had to figure out how much less than a lb cost. For some people this made it feel cheaper because it was bulk. Our prices have not changed. In fact our prices are now lower because of the site wide mix and match discounting we implemented a couple months back.

Notes about implementing this system:

• it will take over 6 months to bag our stock - I'm guessing it will take about 12 months to get thru all product lines. We have started the most popular rings and are working our way though the products that way.
  • We may not be able to bag all rings - for example saw cut rings sold in small amounts simply don't have enough for the bagger to run.
  • We intend to implement the system in such a way that items ordered in large amount still have bulk packaging so we don’t waste bags. The bugs for this will be worked out as we implement the system. Suffice it to say we are environmentally minded here and are giving it serious thought - it is important to us.

You can see its that have been bagged on our site here

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=174&cat=Anodized+Aluminum+Rings+12g+to+14g

and here

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=175&cat=Anodized+Aluminum+Rings+16g+to+18g

these bags are great to resell

Yes, I'm sure they are. :rolleyes:

So the customer will buy a bag from me, look at the web address preprinted on the label, visit your site, see that the price is so much less than what I sold it to him for, and never buy another ring from me.

As a retailer, I would still have to re-package the product if I wanted to sell it.

Yes, I'm sure they are. :rolleyes:

So the customer will buy a bag from me, look at the web address preprinted on the label, visit your site, see that the price is so much less than what I sold it to him for, and never buy another ring from me.

As a retailer, I would still have to re-package the product if I wanted to sell it.

The same is true for most supplies I see in bead stores. People will buy from you if they find it convenient - like at a fair as was my example. If you buy in bulk and then mark up reasonably (not 100%) you may end up being the same price as us and then they will still buy from you.

The same is true for most supplies I see in bead stores. People will buy from you if they find it convenient - like at a fair as was my example. If you buy in bulk and then mark up reasonably (not 100%) you may end up being the same price as us and then they will still buy from you.

I completely agree with this. If you buy at the highest discount level you will be able to sell for the same TRL retail (undiscounted) price, save the customer the effort and trouble (and shipping costs and delays) of ordering themselves and make a very decent margin for yourself. I see great potential in this. I would not be at all surprised to see these bags offered in local craft stores in the near future.

I completely agree with this. If you buy at the highest discount level you will be able to sell for the same TRL retail (undiscounted) price, save the customer the effort and trouble (and shipping costs and delays) of ordering themselves and make a very decent margin for yourself. I see great potential in this. I would not be at all surprised to see these bags offered in local craft stores in the near future.

Ditto. I'm well on my way to having my craft store convinced! The shop owner was very excited when I told her about the new packaging.

Max discount is what 25% with the 5% on every $1000 rebate, which drops back to about 20% after shipping is paid?

Or just repackage and mark up 500% and still undercut the jump ring prices in all the retail outlets locally.

You don't sell to other maillers, you sell to the beaders who pay $4.99 for two dozen nickel jump rings, or $12 for a dozen 20g 3/16 silver rings at "Michaels".

You don't sell to other maillers, you sell to the beaders who pay $4.99 for two dozen nickel jump rings, or $12 for a dozen 20g 3/16 silver rings at "Michaels".

Or, you shrug your shoulders, don't rip them off, hand them a TRL Business card, and tell them to let you know if they're ordering so you can split shipping on an order and get a better discount yourself...

Your choice.

We sell to maillers. Many of our customers know about TRL, and know that we get our rings from them. They choose to buy from us because once shipping, import costs and taxes are factored in it is often cheaper to buy from us anyway. And a lot more convenient.

Selling small amounts of rings to beaders or other jewelry crafters is a good idea though, especially since you can offer a much better product than plated mystery metal. Most beaders wouldn't want to buy 400 rings when they need 10, no matter how low the price per ring would drop for them. It is simply not convenient to them.

You'll be paying for your packaging supplies of course. You spend time repacking the rings, and that is also time you need to compensate yourself for. The price will reflect this, but might still end up being cheaper than plated.

Or, you shrug your shoulders, don't rip them off, hand them a TRL Business card, and tell them to let you know if they're ordering so you can split shipping on an order and get a better discount yourself...

Your choice.

By that logic TRL is ripping maillers off because they are making a profit from a more targeted market instead of just selling bulk inexpensive washers to the less discriminating public.

Point is kind of moot. I have no interest in reselling rings unless a fellow mailler is in need, and then it would need to be a request of significant size for me to charge them for it, but to resell any product at a more competitive price then any other source locally no matter how much you mark it up is hardly ripping people off. It's the basics of commerce.

I can see the advantages of bagged rings for jewelers, but I focus more on armor and like buying my rings by the pound or more. I also use a wide variety of rings. Will I still be able to make purchases this way?

I can see the advantages of bagged rings for jewelers, but I focus more on armor and like buying my rings by the pound or more. I also use a wide variety of rings. Will I still be able to make purchases this way?

All rings will be sold by the ring count but some will be shipped from bulk if you buy lots.

The bulk thing may be an internal thing - you may not see it on the site.

Also not all bins will have bulk. I did a thourough study of our sales and products and found which bins require bulk and which don't based on the amount people buy at one time.

I might put a note on the products with bulk stating if you buy more than x bags this will be sent in bulk (one bag).

I just finished this study on Sunday and we're just starting to bag our first rings that could require bulk today. For example we're doing 16g bright aluminum next. of the 6 sizes only 16g 5/16" , 1/4" and 3/8" require a bulk bin. The rest had maybe 1 to less than 1 order a year of more than about 10 bags.

back of a mixed bag:

TRL_00121.jpg

Notes about bags:

hehehe, the way bags are sealed remind me of the bags of assorted candies at the corner store :-)

I hope I don't try to eat the rings of my first bagged order! LOL

Mike B

I have no idea of the setup, so keep that in mind when I ask this, is there any way to request bulk bagging?

Same answer as above - basically no.

We have to have 1 bin per product. Each bin takes up x amount of shop space. If we have a bulk bin it also takes up shop space. I have calculated which products are ordered in which amounts and we will have bulk bins of those products only.