• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ferd De Mann

Ferd De Mann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

I used to go and buy those cheap hacks that break after a couple kicks and use those as stuffing.

#2 georgemalloney

georgemalloney

the maille man is coming

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

hey guys long time no post been really busy i just opened a store called "chainmaille on everything" and a ton of people want chainmaille hacky sacks i tried to make a couple from a fomula i cant remember where i got but there always ends up having too many rings so my question is should i change the ring size as i come to the middle or is there a better formula that u guys can muster up any help would be great
world domination is coming
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

#3 Movak

Movak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

I make hacky sacks using 14 gauge 3/8" rings to make a japaneese 10-2 ball. It works great and does not need filling.

Movak

#4 georgemalloney

georgemalloney

the maille man is coming

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

how loose is the finished product i need it to conform to the shape of your foot and not be too stiff
world domination is coming
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

#5 Movak

Movak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

10 in 2 has enough flex to conform properly.

Movak

#6 Gwenhyver

Gwenhyver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

I've made quite a few, not sure how well they stand up but I've yet to have one break so take that for what its worth.

I do a very simple design, just euro 4-in-1
Posted Image

You can vary the size, but I try to make it a proper multiple of the reductions so that I end up with a neat end. Can't recall off hand what the math is for it. For that one I start with a cylinder that is 28 rings around, and 7 rows wide. Then I go to what would be 6 in one but every second ring, and again, and then finish off with a single ring at the end. The picture should show what I'm talking about, you skip a ring to keep the reduction from getting too dense. For mine I use 18g 1/4 rings.

For fill I just use those big plastic pony beads you can get at any craft store. They're fairly cheap, but durable. You can pick your fill amount based how how stiff you want your ball. They end up nice and round even with a small level of fill. It's easy to over fill them, which makes the hacky sac really hard to use. They should still squish a bit!

Lemme know if you need any clarification. This is the first time I've actually had something to share! :lol:

#7 Skedros

Skedros

Maille Maker & Costumer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

I've found these instructions to be very helpful. I've also found that stainless steel works the best for making these.

:wine:

Edited by Skedros, 26 January 2010 - 03:56 PM.

Skedros Koslov
www.seattleknights.com
"Joust Do It"

"A true hobbyist, always has at least one project that is "in progress".
Betty Hill 1924-2001

#8 Sleeper

Sleeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

I usedthe pattern Skedros suggested and found it very simple. After puzzling through the first one, I was able to make several more, averaging about 30-45 min per piece.
No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.--R. A. Heinlein

By cultivating the beautiful we scatter the seeds of heavenly flowers, as by doing good we cultivate those that belong to humanity.--R. A. Heinlein

Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.--A. Schweitzer

When one door is closed, don't you know, another is open.--B. Marley

#9 MonsterMailler

MonsterMailler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

When I make my chainmail hacky sacks I tend to use 5/16 rings and do a 24x4 european 4 in 1 sheet then add 6 litttle trianges to the length then connect the ends... i found these directions when i searched chainmail hacky sacks on google... and went to instructables

#10 Shaman

Shaman

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

I also do the Japanese cube. 16 ga, 5/16 rings and I use stainless steel. They work great and when I was doing this as my livelihood they were one of those things I never had enough of. Also, makes the perfect size for juggling balls.

#11 k_rock

k_rock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hi there, new to chain mail, but I understand the basics and have made a few pieces. My question regarding these hackey sacks, are there designs made exclusively of chain, no filling? If so what would these patterns be?

****EDIT*****

Thanks!

Edited by SueG, 18 May 2010 - 02:14 PM.
Link removed by request of website owner

Party on Wayne.

#12 Movak

Movak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

The bags on the site are just regular european 4-1 pattern with no filler. You can also make one using 14 gauge 3/8" rings in a Japanese 10-2 pattern without filler.

Movak

#13 Clifford of Idlewilde

Clifford of Idlewilde

Every silver lining's got an eye-blinding, skull shattering beam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

I make mine from 16g 1/4"id rings for the body with 2 17g 5/16" galvy rings for the "queen rings".

#1 Make a ribbon of E4-1 with 24 rings on the outer rows.

#2 Connect the ends to make a loop.

#3 Add one row to each side of the loop to widen the ribbon to 5 rows.

#4 Reduce the ribbon/tube by 6 rings per row for three rows. (18 rings, 12 rings, 6 rings) Shift contraction ringss around a bit to avoid the seamed look.

#5 Connect the last 6 rings with a queen ring on one end, Fill the other end with rings or beads for a hackey sack (cloth for a juggling ball)

DO NOT OVERFILL!! A hackey sack must be able to flatten out slightly on the foot/shoe in order to do stalls and to help control.

#6 Connect the final 6 rings with a queen ring to close the ball.

#14 shivan911

shivan911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

I do mine Euro 4-1, but start out like I would a coif (with the queen ring). My rows work out as follows

1,8,16,20,25,25,25,25,25,20,16,8,1 (for easy math it works out to an expansion ring every 4th ring, then 2 rings between every contraction)

I tend to use mine as juggling balls so I stuff them as compact as I can before putting the final ring in.
BE NICE TO DRAGONS~for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup

http://members.shaw.ca/shivan911

AKA H & A designs
http://hadesigns1.etsy.com

#15 Tamren

Tamren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

Exactly how durable do hackies need to be? I've heard some people say that they make them out of spring steel. is that going overboard?

#16 Peach

Peach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Well, Hacks get kicked around pretty hard sometimes, or thrown hard in games like Kill. And, as they are often abused even when not in use it's a smart idea to use a nice strong material. However, I have seen them made out of other things, so I'd say it all depends on how long you want your hack to last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users