Vidar

Shirt advice (don't we all need that?)

I know lots of you have done armor here before, so I'm coming to you for advice.

I've been reading up on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm#sect4-2

Now, it mentions doing the expansions and contractions, which I'm fine with. I can figure that part out. I'm just wondering of those that have done shirts here in the past, do you do the contractions AFTER doing the pieces?

I'm using 1614 SS to make my shirt. I'm doing it in chunks (actually, now that it comes in bags, I guess I'm doing it in bags). I'm making patches that I will stitch together later. That way I don't have 20 lbs of mail in my lap. Plus it's less noisy at work to have small patches jangle around.

So here I am, making small rectangular patches thinking to the future. I made a small hauberk for my friends son for halloween (he loved it). Now, it was not custom fitted at all..simply barrel/straps. I obviously want to tailor this one as it's for me and I can do that without ruining the surprise. I may just give this to myself as a gift next year ;-)

Any thoughts, random ideas, quotes from favorite movies?

of course, I'm kidding about that last part...

Vidar

3689_thumb.attach

Edited by Vidar
added photo

I had a very nice explanation typed out...

And then my finger brushed the %$*!&*$# pad and I backpaged.

Simply put, its easy to add the exp/cons around the neck, in between strips and the instructions preview where they need to be very well.

When going down the simple torso section you can make strips to go all the way around the torso and then add them. Then you can check the fit/look and "unzip" a single vertical line to where an exp/con needs to be added. Then close it up adding or taking rings out as needed.

Anyways, thats how I did it. And I found it to work rather well so far.

I hope that somewhat kinda sorta made a little bitta sense.

Hey! I remember this tutorial from when I first started out, but I opted for the barrel and straps design.

But I so relate to not wanting to lug around great mounds of maille.

I think Cahojama has got the right idea... If you make smaller strips/chunks to be added on, the expansions/contractions are much easier to just slot in.

And in attaching your strips working from the top down, you'll be able to constantly check your fit & adjust (hence minimum 'unzipping')

oh, and...

'Great Googamooga!' (movie: Evolution)

Cheers,

ScaleGraze

I stitched my patches together into a big sheet, and then started the tailoring per the Trevor Barker page. That's NOT what I would suggest doing. Cahojama's method sounds much better to me.

Awesome advice guys. I'll be doing the top part (the mantle) probably as early as next week, so we'll see how that works out. Then it's off to the races on the torso part.

I find it easiest to do the expansions or contractions afterwards. That way you get to see how it fits without them and adjust accordingly.

It may be more work, but I think it's simpler in the end.