Vidar

Ornament Kits

Thought I'd try the ornament kit to see how well I can do j6-1.

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43252

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had tried it out. I did the tree pattern that came with it, and holy hell the last few rings are near impossible to get in. It keeps stretching other rings open and popping them out. I spent about 40 minutes making the pattern and stuff, and then almost an hour attaching them to the welded rings (which i missed on at one point and near wanted to scream)

Anyway, just thought I'd see how others are dealing with the extreme tightness.

What pliers did you use?

I have not tried this one but I just finished working on some .025/.125 box chain.

Useing the right pliers and just a bit of thread to hold things in palce makes a big difference.

The issue is attaching the final rings to the outer welded rings that are on the craft ring. Holding it in place isn't as much of an issue as being able to stretch the whole piece to the outer ring...

I had a ton of trouble getting the last three on as well. I use Craftman bent nosed pliers (the toothless ones) on all my projects. Took me nearly 20 minutes to get the rings on and my hands hurt like holy heck after each one because of struggling so much. They look great once they were together and none of the rings opened while I struggled. I wonder if the smaller rings could stand to be just a tad larger?

Larger rings means the weave would sag in the center.

There are 2 things you can try if its simply too tight - although you should be careful with these or as I said it may become saggy.

1. the welded rings attached to the outside ring are 5/32" ID - you can squeeze them gently and oval them. This will give you a pinch more room to connect.

2. you can add 3/16" rings to the 3" outside ring and use them as your connectors instead of the provided 5/32" welded.

Edited by Bernice Daniels