Sign in to follow this  
lorenzo

Snowflakes

I have some unique gems I made recently and I really want to make a necklace that highlights them. The only metal I would consider using is silver, I'll probably go with a thin wire wrap or bezel setting for the stones themselves. The stone sizes are 4, 6, 8 and 10mm calibrated.

I'm drawing a blank on the style, I could really use some inspiration for the overall design to go with these. I want something that looks delicate and weblike. Maybe some sixfold symmetry?

Let me know what you think. Pictures or sketches of designs would be most welcome.

post-12-12631196163_thumb.png

having seen these in person - these snowflakes are amazing. I'll be very interested to see how you mount them. I'm still pondering something to do with fishing line to see if that will work. I think they need space in the design. The immediate idea that came to my mind was a simple delicate chain with several of these hanging about 1/2 to 1.5" off of it at varying lengths.

Did you actually capture snowflakes? those look so amazing in the photo!

I really can't think of any way to mount them... mainly cause I have never done any gem settings with my maille yet.

I have some unique gems I made recently and I really want to make a necklace that highlights them. The only metal I would consider using is silver, I'll probably go with a thin wire wrap or bezel setting for the stones themselves. The stone sizes are 4, 6, 8 and 10mm calibrated.

I'm drawing a blank on the style, I could really use some inspiration for the overall design to go with these. I want something that looks delicate and weblike. Maybe some sixfold symmetry?

Let me know what you think. Pictures or sketches of designs would be most welcome.

Those are very pretty snowflakes gems you have there. :)

The only two designs I have but in my opinion that these would look nice on are these but none of the crystals are wire wrapped on them but ignore the colour on these designs of mine, you may of course borrow them if you want to and can give you the stats of the ring size etc.

JapaneseScalloped.jpg

JapaneseByzantineCrystalNecklace.jpg

Edited by Guinevere

Not sure how well it would work, but maybe make a chainmaille snowflake out of an open weave, I've seen them done on here I just forget what weave, and then add these in the center and around it? Maybe have one of the larger ones in the center and then several others spaced semi evenly around, or at the tips of it. Not sure it would really work for a necklace that well, depending on the total size, but you could make a cool hanging to go over a window, especially since I'm sure these capture the light in awesome ways.

If you don't mind letting the method go, how did you make these?

Bernice; A single chain is my backup plan, if I can't come up with anything more striking.

Chaosity; Yes, they're real snowflakes, though I have no idea how stable they'll be over the long term.

Guinevere; I like that first design you posted, I'll keep in mind something similar to that. Thanks.

Metaloids; http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/preserve/preserve.htm

My only thought would be a cut through bezel setting. Cut the silver into a snowflake pattern then wrap and set .. incredibly delicate work.. or 24 gauge silver wire web work, soldiered , and flattened...

2bits

Hey just had a thought- not sure if they can withstand any heat - ask Jon about the silver setting he made for a bead a couple weeks back. Basically he cast a piece of silver, drilled it, set the bead in and heated it to affix the setting.

Hey just had a thought- not sure if they can withstand any heat - ask Jon about the silver setting he made for a bead a couple weeks back. Basically he cast a piece of silver, drilled it, set the bead in and heated it to affix the setting.

If these were made using the superglue method, then heat is bad. Cooking glued-together parts at 212 deg F (100 deg C) will cause the bond to severely weaken or break. I realize that these are not glued together, but I would expect the glue to degrade quite a bit.

If these were made one of the other methods, then I have no idea.