Elrik_Skywise

What is the best gauge wire for making full persian

Sorry but there is not enough information to answer this question; "Best" for one application is probably not "best" for another.

What do you want to make? Bracelet, necklace?

How big do you want it? 1/8" wide, 1/2" wide?

How flexible/dense do you want it? Do you want it to bend easily or be fairly rigid.

The best way to answer your question is to look in the gallery for examples of the weave you want and use their stats.

Movak

I've got to agree with Skedros here, but you're asking the wrong question. The question that you should be asking is "What Aspect Ratio is good for XX Persian Weave". Before you go any further into weaving I would suggest doing a little research into Aspect Ratio's and their affect on weaves. That being said, and A/R of around 5 works nicely for both FP6-1 and HP4-1, but you would probably find it to be a bit loose in HP3-1 and perhaps a bit snug in the HP3-1 Sheet weaves. 16ga 5/16" is a great size to learn with for Persian weaves. Once you have the weave down pat you can move onto smaller versions like 18ga 1/4" (AR 5.3), 19ga 5mm (AR 5.0), or 20ga 5/32" (AR 5.0)

26g sterling wire makes an awesome FP. 24g is ok, 20g is so-so, 18g is ehn, I won't even comment on 16g wire; but 26g looks and feels amazing.

26g sterling wire makes an awesome FP. 24g is ok, 20g is so-so, 18g is ehn, I won't even comment on 16g wire; but 26g looks and feels amazing.

I actually make and sell jewelry chains in 16 5/16. They are very popular! Also 18 1/4

I love the look of 22 ga 1/8" Sterling Silver for a 6-in-1 full persian. It looks nice, but is a heavier chain. I found it worked well for learning the weave. Something in the same aspect ratio, but 24 ga would look really nice. The 22ga is fairly flexible, or at least flexible enough to make a decent bracelet, however for someone with a very small wrist, the weave may be a little inflexible.

Full_Persian_6_in_1_Set_by_ringsmith.jpg

Canadapip, you may prefer to use something other than a barrel clasp for a bracelet. It takes both hands to screw those together. If those are magnetic clasps, never mind!

We've seen people facepalming about fitting barrel clasps on bracelets before!

Canadapip, you may prefer to use something other than a barrel clasp for a bracelet. It takes both hands to screw those together. If those are magnetic clasps, never mind!

We've seen people facepalming about fitting barrel clasps on bracelets before!

They are small magnetic clasps. We've got an awesome local store call Bedrock Supply that had about 20-30 different types of clasps. The magnetic ones seemed to me to be the most practical, but there's a small issue with them - they can come undone easily if they catch on something. Otherwise they're pretty good. Integrated into the weave really nicely.