Krid

Leather Corset

Okay, so I've started working with leather recently (a few months back), and this is my first completed project using tooling leather. It's a very simple and plain design, but I absolutely love the way it turned out! I'm so excited to show it off! :wub:

I traced out the panels on one of my underbust corsets on to cardboard, then transferred the design on to the leather to cut it out. This corset contains 10 panels and took approximately 6 hours from start to end (I think....). The greatest thing is there is no need for boning, seeing as the leather I used was 8-9oz belly leather bought from the scraps at Tandy! Total cost for this project was $12.

th_IMG_0092.jpg

th_IMG_0094.jpg

th_IMG_0095.jpg

th_IMG_0098.jpg

More pictures can be found here: http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/kridiot/Leatherwork/

Nice work. I never thought of using heavier leather instead of boning the corset. thanks for the idea.

Aye and a great one it is.

I may be building off this as well .. Great look!

Looks great! What other materials did you use, such as for the trimming on the panels and the cords pulling everything together?

And how easy do you think it would be to stitch sheets on maille on the panels to give it some more flair?

Looks great! What other materials did you use, such as for the trimming on the panels and the cords pulling everything together?

And how easy do you think it would be to stitch sheets on maille on the panels to give it some more flair?

This corset is made entirely of leather. The panels are 8oz belly leather, and the lacing is black leather lace... from a spool... <.< (They also sell it at Tandy)

The black highlights/accents around the panels were dyed using Fiebing's Leather Dye in USMC Black.

[Edit]: The grey lacing is shoelace... I ran out of the leather lace ^^;

And thank you, everyone, for the compliments! :wub:

Edited by MabusMaille

Looks like you did a good job with the dye, I thought it was a fabric or light leather trim. Did you use the brass eyelets on every panel or just the ones in the front and back where the shoelaces are keeping things together?

Looks like you did a good job with the dye, I thought it was a fabric or light leather trim. Did you use the brass eyelets on every panel or just the ones in the front and back where the shoelaces are keeping things together?

Good spot! I only used the eyelets in the front and back, where the shoelace is keeping it together. There's a total of 40 eyelets, 10 on each side of the front and back, left sides and right sides. The eyelets are actually not brass, they're just blackened nickel plated something... <.<

-Kryston

Good work! Leather can be a nice change of pace from fabric corset making. If you ever wanted to reinforce the sucker or make it into more of an armor type garment, you can soak it in hot water and then lace it up around a dressform to harden. Directions can be found HERE. Also, this soaking process is essential if you want to make a seamless cup to make an over-bust armor-corset.

Bravo! Keep it up!

Nicely executed!

Seeing how good it turned out and how well you wear it gave me several nice ideas for future projects - thanks for the inspiration!

It really looks awesome. Kudos! Some of the photos really gave a good angle on the curves and shape a garment and wearer like that expresses :)

When do you think you'll make a nice combo with maille on it? :D

Also, what are your next projects in leatherworking?

Nicely executed!

Seeing how good it turned out and how well you wear it gave me several nice ideas for future projects - thanks for the inspiration!

It really looks awesome. Kudos! Some of the photos really gave a good angle on the curves and shape a garment and wearer like that expresses :)

When do you think you'll make a nice combo with maille on it? :D

Also, what are your next projects in leatherworking?

Thank you so much for your compliments! I have been thinking of how to attach chainmail to a corset, but I'm not entirely decided just yet. I have so many ideas floating around my head, hehe.

For my next projects in leather, I have quite a few lined up. I have been making bracelets for the past month (Finished 4 or 5 now, mix of soft and tooled leather), I have an order for a custom overbust corset for a friend (similar design, but with a sweetheart top and different colours), and I have been working on a pair of bracers... But they're a secret, so you'll just have to wait and see! :P

There's a beautiful example of a chainmail corset on deviant art by WaistedSpace.

Rather ingenious design, but obviously this one --with the multiple layers of dragonscale pattern-- is quite thick. If you wanted to do the corset out of tooling leather you would probably need to use a different pattern, or less layers. This corset, by the same artist, features 2 panels of Japanese 6 in 1 and looks very sharp!

Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Edited by MakerEthos

I love this idea!!  I am in the middle of a project trying to make a leather corset and chainmail bra for my wife right now, and the more ideas and help I can get the better!!

On 2010/4/28 at 10:16 PM, MakerEthos said:

There's a beautiful example of a chainmail corset on deviant art by WaistedSpace.

Rather ingenious design, but obviously this one --with the multiple layers of dragonscale pattern-- is quite thick. If you wanted to do the corset out of tooling leather you would probably need to use a different pattern, or less layers. This corset, by the same artist, features 2 panels of Japanese 6 in 1 and looks very sharp!

Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

It looks great.