sir_osis

macro/mega maille

So I'm sitting here on a night shift, haven't gotten into the rings yet, and i'm aleady plotting a big project. I wanna make something out of rediculously huge heavy rings.

i'm thinking rings that don't go by gauge, but by inch. maybe 1" pipe or something. Anyone ever try this?? I know i'll need a pipe bender, probably a big one depending on what I get my hands on.

has anyone tried making maille out of rings that have a good 6" inner diameter or more??

Might need a torch to heat the metal up to bend it as much as you need to. I have contemplated doing the same thing only haven't because I don't have my oxy-Aceteline torch available to use right now...

Might need a torch to heat the metal up to bend it as much as you need to. I have contemplated doing the same thing only haven't because I don't have my oxy-Aceteline torch available to use right now...

well i've seen malleable(sp?) Iron pipe bent fairly easily using pipe bending tools...but that's some serious machinery for the large pipe. and i've bent it (accidentally) using a 3" pipe wrench.

i guess the issue is making consistent large rings by hand. i'm sure it's a simple matter to torque the rings open once they're made to clear the other rings. I thought it would make a bad ass piece of art to have it hanging from the post out front instead of a sign saying "the kents" or something lame like that. a nice 3' section of HP 4 in 1 that weighs 30 lbs

Here's an idea;

Rent a pipe bender.

Make sure you get one that makes constant bends. The conduit benders make progressive bends.

Most dies for benders only make 180 degree bends so make 180 degree pieces and weld them together.

Or you could get a metal shop to make the pieces for you.

Movak

duh...rent a bender.

I'm afraid that if i did the testing they'd certify me retarded, or a politician..same thing i suppose lol

have you tried making macro Movak?

A lot depends on what type of pipe your useing.

The standard heavy wall black pipe will make tooling expencive on the other hand conduit should give the same feel at a much cheaper cost.

being Galvy heating it with a torch becomes a bit of a concern.

Another option would be to invest in a bar bender.

Hosfield makes a good one and if your budget is tight Harbor freight makes a knock off version.

The planitary gear driven type may work but I have no experiance with that tool.

If your still in toronto I know someone with tools that may be worth talking to.

Edited by losthelm

Just a thought, almost any muffler shop would be able to do the bends you need in almost any sized tubing and have supplies and a welder to make huge rings

2bits.

Just a thought, almost any muffler shop would be able to do the bends you need in almost any sized tubing and have supplies and a welder to make huge rings

2bits.

yeah but the muffler shop would also require my left testicle as payment. I'm liking the conduit idea. and I'm sure I can locate someone who would do the bends, or provide the equipment for free.

actually I was toying with building a jig for making rings. something where I could lock one end of the pipe in, and break out the torch and just crank the damn thing around the jig and make my ring.

mind you i've got alot of friends in the HVAC business and I'm sure I could get a buttload of flexible copper pipe scraps

yeah but the muffler shop would also require my left testicle as payment. I'm liking the conduit idea. and I'm sure I can locate someone who would do the bends, or provide the equipment for free.

actually I was toying with building a jig for making rings. something where I could lock one end of the pipe in, and break out the torch and just crank the damn thing around the jig and make my ring.

mind you i've got alot of friends in the HVAC business and I'm sure I could get a buttload of flexible copper pipe scraps

If you use pipe, you'll want to fill it with something prior to bending it. Else you'll get unfortunate side effects.

Also, speak to FerrousKnight

http://borosilicatearachnid.deviantart.com/art/BEST-PAPERWEIGHT-EVER-61306122?q=gallery%3ABorosilicateArachnid%2F3586006&qo=32

Macromaille: Spiral 6-in-1

If you use pipe, you'll want to fill it with something prior to bending it. Else you'll get unfortunate side effects.

yeah I realised that after submitting. it's not as forgiving as solid bar. I could make a summer project out of it, putting the stuff in the campfire every time i have one and getting the other guys in on bending everything lol

Filling pipe before bending it is done to prevent the pipe from collapsing when bending it by hand without a die. This is because once a pipe starts to bend at a point it has a tendency to keep bending at that point and collapse. When bending against a die, the pipe bends at a point and then that point comes up against the die and can no longer bend. Therefore the pending point moves along the pipe and it does not collapse. Bending machines force the pipe against a die using a very controlled force and do not collapse the pipe.

If you use conduit, it is designed to bend so is already dead soft and therefore does not need heating. Also, heating conduit is a bad idea as the galvanization will release toxic fumes.

Movak

2 thoughts;

1. Find a friendly mechanic/muffler shop who would let you "rent" the equipment onsite for a couple hours, maybe even give ya a tut. No big chains of course, but a small local operation might.

2. They don't fill muffler pipes for bending :)

Edited by Euar

Also, heating conduit is a bad idea as the galvanization will release toxic fumes.

well that, and heating conduit isn't made to bend, you'd have better luck bending a cardboard tube :P

no i really like the electrical conduit idea. I'll be seeing if the local shop has some scrap they'd be willing to part with.

sir_osis I think you are reaching for something that is far beyond what is reasonable or attainable based on doing it on a a reasonable budget. Based on the price of today's metals and the economy I doubt hardly any company will give up any reasonable amount of scrap for free.

Copper is running about $3.00 a lb. Scrap may be cheaper but the big users are not going to give up the savings they can make. I don't know the price of Al is but, I am sure no one is giving anything away in usable quantities.

You should have questions about heating galvy anything. Ask Kodiac. He posted a few years ago about him welding/brazing/heating galvy and getting very sick.

This is from a long, long time ago. Copper tubing 1/8" to 3/4' was soft. Most everything above was hard drawn and Stiffer then a Life Sentence.

As for black pipe it is just steel pipe with a tar type coating. turning a 13" or so piece of pipe into a 4" ID circle would take a hydraulic press of multi ton capability and probability specialty dies.

I just cant see it happening on a limited budget.

I must admit to a preference for macro v. micro maille so I am not knocking you I just think you are over reaching on a limited budget.

Mike S.

I appreciate the opinion mike. and i think i'm going to agree with you with a "maybe" thrown in. if i don't rush the project, maybe gather bits and pieces here and there, perhaps in a couple years i'll have enough stuff, and i'll have made enough connections to pull it off.

I made welded rings from 1/4" stainless a few weeks ago - about 500 in total. I used a planetary ring roller like this:

http://www.unibender.com/rr.htm

I powered mine via a lathe in low gear and feed the "wire" in by hand. I cut the coils with a abrasive cutoff wheel in a milling machine. Then I held the ring closed by hand while making a tack weld. Finally I welded the ring solid.

4" OD plasma welded rings made from 1/4" stainless sold for $2 each. They'd be more like $1.50 in cold rolled mild steel.

I found it was very difficult to close the rings and have them stay closed without tack welding.

I have 2 ideas for you,

what aout rebar? I know its not think but its weighty...

or

I have some aluminum tubing, in 18-24 inch lengths (will have to measure) that is very thick walled. I think the diameter is 1.25 to 1.5 inches and the hole in the middle is .25 to .5 inch in diameter (once again ill have to measure). Not sure how many you are looking for and not sure how easy they would be to bend but we could talk about how many you would like.

Brady

actually rebar could be pretty funky. and i could heat it without any negative side effects (well other than the risk of charring my worthless husk beyond recognition).

aluminum tubing with that thick of walls?? where ever did you find such a thing???

aluminum tubing with that thick of walls?? where ever did you find such a thing???

It's left over from his refining of uranium. hopefully he'll warn us before he sets off a test device.......

(do I need to say this is a joke?)

If you aren't married to the idea of metal you might have pretty good success using wood. You would just have to add soaking/steaming to your coiling/closing process instead of attacking it with a wrench.

As to teh aluminum tubes, I work in the expolsives industry, and currently the detonator delays are made using drawn lead tubes (short thick tubes back with delay material, then drawn out, 1 foot becomes 14 feet...) The aluminum was a test to see if we could get rid of the lead. I'll try and get pictures today.

Aluminum like that isent to hard to find in any case you just need to know were to look. I am a welder and I have seen stuff similar to that aluminum, problem is with any aluminum (particularly thick walled stuff like that) is that it is pretty spendy.

I've toyed around at work with gigantic 1ft rings I made using 1ft diameter 3/4 inch thick steel pipe. All I had to do was take the pipe to the band saw and slice it down like I was slicing cheese. I torch cut the rings and used a "C" clamp and prybar to weave them together :lol: Made a 10ft by 6ft sheet of e4-1 out of it. I'd take my camera to work and get some pics for ya but it magically disappeared a few days after I made it.... I'll probably do it again. I've been eyeballing a 6 inch diameter 1/2 inch thick piece of scrap pipe for my next mega sheet.

Gotta love working at a steel fab shop.

I know it's not quite what you're talking about but I could EASILY make you some rings like that if this is a route you'd like to take.

Edited by Dreg

I've toyed around at work with gigantic 1ft rings I made using 1ft diameter 3/4 inch thick steel pipe. All I had to do was take it to the band saw and slice it down like I was slicing cheese. I torch cut the rings and used a "C" clamp and prybar to weave them together :lol: Made a 10ft by 6ft sheet of e4-1 out of it. I'd take my camera to work and get some pics for ya but it magically disappeared a few days after I made it.... I'll probably do it again. I've been eyeballing a 6 inch diameter 1/2 inch thick piece of scrap pipe for my next mega sheet.

Gotta love working at a steel fab shop.

I know it's not quite what you're talking about but I could EASILY make you some rings like that if this is a route you'd like to take.

3/4 by 1 foot?? you are my GOD

that's exactly the sort of thing i'm talking about!!!! i'm assuming you had a hydraulic pipe bender to do it? doesn't sound like the sort of thing you're gonna pull off by hand.

wow...10 by 6 foot mega european....where would i hang that..............it would be so bad ass!

yes you could make me the rings, but at what cost, and how would i get them?? lol