this sort of stuff really ticks me off

the powers that be only care about $$$$

since I've moved to E. Tx. my water has been undrinkable

hardly can use it for anything else

the E.P.A. will only run a few tests on anything

and of course you can follow the $ trail to see who signs

whose checks

I got this in my e-mail from E.W.G.

you can click past the help us pop up window, this is only one little thing that's going on

People here really need to wake up and turn their entertainment and fake news off.

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

Why would you call a government agency to test your water? Anyway, open up the phone book. If you can't get a company to come out and check your water send samples to a lab. Anyone with a well should have their water tested. Anyway I am a little confused about whether your post is copied and pasted from something or if it is a problem that really pertains to you.

Edited by ctsoth

The EPA does not regulate nor test private wells. It is up to the owner of the well to ensure that it is safe to drink.Water standards are different everywhere. I took a trip to California and consider the water undrinkable yet the locals drink it just fine.

Movak

Not sure why anyone would even think to call EPA..... Anyway, bad taste doesn't inherently mean that the water is dangerous or unhealthy. The water at my work is loaded with iron giving it a fairly foul taste. A relative of mine has a lake home with water that smells like a bog.

It's my water, it so oily you can't wash it off of things most of the time- also it will burn your throat if you drink it.

It's very clear and doesn't smell at all.

I had a Texas Environmental Quality Control come out, they tested the tap at the main for 5 different things and said I had to pay to send it to a lab to see what else is wrong with it , there could be a dozen things wrong with it -some they don't even test for here.

The one thing they found is that the Chloramine was at 4 instead of under 2, and said this can bother some people. I told them it would be nice if I could just wash my dishes in it and get them clean, I've tried several different detergents and just vinegar and water, here lately I have to uses pure vinegar to clean off what the water leaves behind.

It does clear up sometimes and it's not off a well. The tap outside is the same as in the house.

The link I posted is just about what could be happening to some places around the country and that big companies are getting away polluting our environment.

It's hard to get anyone around here to test for things unless you can pay for it yourself. That can cost some big bucks.

It's my water, it so oily you can't wash it off of things most of the time- also it will burn your throat if you drink it.

It's very clear and doesn't smell at all.

I had a Texas Environmental Quality Control come out, they tested the tap at the main for 5 different things and said I had to pay to send it to a lab to see what else is wrong with it , there could be a dozen things wrong with it -some they don't even test for here.

The one thing they found is that the Chloramine was at 4 instead of under 2, and said this can bother some people. I told them it would be nice if I could just wash my dishes in it and get them clean, I've tried several different detergents and just vinegar and water, here lately I have to uses pure vinegar to clean off what the water leaves behind.

It does clear up sometimes and it's not off a well. The tap outside is the same as in the house.

The link I posted is just about what could be happening to some places around the country and that big companies are getting away polluting our environment.

It's hard to get anyone around here to test for things unless you can pay for it yourself. That can cost some big bucks.

consider catching rainwater and drinking that.

tap water has been nasty for decades.

Sorry haven't been on for awhile. All the tap water around here is pretty bad right now from the rain flooding. My Moms is few miles away and on a different water system, it's full of mud. Mines not quiet so slimy right now but there's dirt coming in. Nice

These are coming from Municipal Water Suppliers.

There is a natural spring about 15 miles S. from here. I just have to collect some form of safe storage containers that won't cost me a fortune or disintegrate within a week or two and find gas for my new gas hog.

Really I just need to move pretty soon. I'm going to try and hunt a friend at the farmers market tomorrow. He has an Organic farm about 25 miles S.E. from here. I know their water is fairly decent down there and He's been needing help. I've also been wanting to raise some various critters and I can't here.

There is a natural spring about 15 miles S. from here. I just have to collect some form of safe storage containers that won't cost me a fortune or disintegrate within a week or two and find gas for my new gas hog.

it sounds strange, but i've used brand new "clean" gas cans. they are durable and can stand freezing and 5 gal. (40lb w/water), although that's probably not a huge issue in texas.. there are 7gallon containers available bit the difference between 40lb and 56lb, makes the 5 gallon containers more friendly.

i plan on 1-2 gallons per person per day for cooking and drinking.

New "clean" fuel cans are not clean. There is a very different standard when food grade and non-food grade plastic is made. There are many chemicals in non-food grade plastic that should not be anywhere near food or water. Stick your nose in a new gas can and you will smell the volatile organic compound that are leaching out of the plastic. Not a problem if you are storing fuel; a deffinate problem if you are storing drinking or cooking water.

Movak

New "clean" fuel cans are not clean. There is a very different standard when food grade and non-food grade plastic is made. There are many chemicals in non-food grade plastic that should not be anywhere near food or water. Stick your nose in a new gas can and you will smell the volatile organic compound that are leaching out of the plastic. Not a problem if you are storing fuel; a deffinate problem if you are storing drinking or cooking water.

Movak

they smell the same as "water jugs" and "cisterns", to me.

ideally water shouldn't be stored in plastic, at all.. glass and stainless are expensive.

I've been researching this lately. Decided glass would be best, it sure is getting harder to find larger glass containers anymore.

I was also thinking that recycled coke 2 liter bottles would last a little longer since they have to put up with coke being in them.

I know the smaller water bottles disintegrate very quickly if you just pour sprite in them.

They're not making water bottles like they use too 16-17 years ago ( I use to go to this spring years ago), the new ones stink like plastic breaking down even after a few re-uses.

Too bad the gas can ideas might not be so great. I was thinking that would be an awesome way to store water in a Vardo.

Check out a local beer or wine making store. 5 gallon glass and plastic carboys are quite common.

Movak

well hauling water is getting really old, my water was really bad this last Saturday, it's not quiet so bad today. It keeps changing so I'm sure it's the water company.

I've family a few hours N. of here so I'm going to be trying to get up there I know there water has iron in it, but I'll take that over this crud any day.

My 16 year old just had surgery on both her big toes to burn the sides of the nails down permanently and I have to soak them 2x a day for 2 weeks or more depending how they heal.

I'll be spending a lot on bottled water now or boiling what I haul in here.

See if you can beg some empty food-safe containers from the a local restaurant or food manufactuer?

Buy a reverse osmosis water filter system to filter your tap water?

Have you tried a Brita filter or a related small-filter system to see if it happens to take care of the problem?

Worth a shot and cheaper than buying filtered water if it does the job.

We live in western Louisiana. The water here is pretty nasty too. Nothing to do with pollution, just a lot of hydrocarbons in the soil and a large sulfur deposit near the water table. We got a filter for the faucet and it does a good job of getting rid of the bad taste. We also have a filtered britta pitcure that works well. The neighbor has a reverse-osmosis contraption attached to his well and swears by it.

Wheez, I thought I posted yesterday ,don't know what happened . I'm working on filtering, and finding out what filters will work, it's rather expensive for the one I would want.

I feel for anyone in LA right now,

Olaf, how is the air there?

Ours seems a little off since the hurricane winds. The humidity in the air also doesn't help clear it up.

I so miss the high desert winds of AZ.

Wheez, I thought I posted yesterday ,don't know what happened . I'm working on filtering, and finding out what filters will work, it's rather expensive for the one I would want.

I feel for anyone in LA right now,

Olaf, how is the air there?

Ours seems a little off since the hurricane winds. The humidity in the air also doesn't help clear it up.

I so miss the high desert winds of AZ.

Even a small filter can do a lot.

Air here has been better since the last bit of rain. I had a hard time earlier this year with it, but some good meds fixed it decently. At least it doesn't smell bad like the air in Monroe (west LA)... it's just hot and humid... like a wet blanket