matrain1

Link Containers?

Greetings,

As my collection of links grows I was curious what everyone else uses to sort their links out.

Thank you and well wishes,

Jesse

two words... Fishing Gear.

i, like you, was finding myself with pounds of rings in ziploc baggies and random plastic kitchen containers because i was not about to pay the outrageous prices for the craft organizers. so, i took a trip over to the hunting and fishing area in my local walmart and had a heyday! what i ended up with is a Plano brand box that has room for 4 nine inch wide by about 5 inch deep by one inch high tackle trays to slide in and out of the front and then an about 3 inch deep locking compartment at the top. the whole thing is only about 10" x 12" x 6" and has a handle on the top. i bought extra trays and easily swap them out depending on what i want to take with me. the compartment at the top easily holds all my pliers (seven pair, 2 big linesman, 2 flat nose, 2 needle nose, 1 bent nose) and other stuff i want to toss in it like a metal file and clasps or whatever. the box itself came with 4 trays and was about $15 (i think) and the extra trays were about $2 or $3 each. the trays have the little thingies that you can adjust the width of the sections and snap closed with two clip thingies on the front. even with 20 ga rings, they stay in their assigned areas. i used a label maker to further organize my rings (and so i wouldn't forget what size they were! lol) i love it and am considering buying another couple of trays to just have a bit more room to work with.

hope that helps! i truly love what i ended up with. if you want, i can try to post some pictures so you can see what i'm talking about.

Thats a good idea. I currently do all my work on the same desk as my computer. In order to make rings easy to pick up and not have them slide all over the place I put down a towel. The towel covers the first foot of desk space, starting from under my keyboard. All my different rings sizes sit in little piles all over this space.

It works well enough. But I have never had to take my work "on the road" as it were. A fishing box sounds like the perfect plan though.

I second the Plano Tackle Box.

They make a HUGE variety and they all seem to fit together. The one I have has a very large top setion with one side having dividers. The lower section has 3 pull out divider section and then a separate side for 4 smaller boxes. Right now its enough space to hold my assortment of AA 16 5/1 rings, AA 18 3/16 rings, my EPDM rings, all my finding and now my growing assortment of beads and stainless. I think I need to get a second one though and I am starting to bust out of the one I have.

I will swing by Wally Mart to get an item number.

I've got 2 types of ring storage, portable and what stays home.

In the craft section of Walmart I found large craft organizers with removable lids - I have one each for 4 different ring sizes and scales, filled to bursting with each color of AA, rubber, clasps, and other stuff I use on a regular basis. At least one of these travels with me everywhere I go in a backpack - I can pull the box out, snap the lid off and put the box in the lid, put it on my lap, and work wherever I am. A lot of the time I'll take a box to the diner and work/drink coffee/chat up waitresses all day.

Each box only has 24 sections, though, so the rest of my rings that get stored at home go in whatever is handy. I'd like to lie and say I have some great organizational system, but I absolutely do not. A lot of rings (when I saw cut 2-4 lbs of BA at a shot) goes into a blue plastic coffee can, and I've got maybe 10-12 of those floating around. If it's slightly less, it goes into an extra large peanut butter jar, and I've got maybe 8 of those. But, this system devolves pretty quick - I have rings in little plastic storage bins, rings in empty gatorade bottles, and a lot of bags of rings in a spackle bucket.

If anyone has a large-scale (100+ lbs of rings) storage system in place already... I'd love to see it.

Well, I have a little tackle box for small things that fits nicely in my purse, and I have a couple of little square tins (I got hot chocolate for Christmas, yay?) for my purse, then a big pringles container for my stainless. I don't have tons of types of rings (I use everything as soon as I get it, lol.) but it works for me. I just swap out whatever rings I'm using currently in my tackle box.

I do jewelry, so I don't have to account for large quantities of armor size rings. I store mine in Icebreakers mint tins. (Can I call them tins if they are all plastic?) They hold about two ounces, snap tight, and with a velcro dot they sit without sliding on my tray. To carry them around I use an old laptop bag.

Screw on lids are good, secure snap on lids are great!

http://www.uniqueseason.com/images/38594.jpg

I'm going to have to check out those tackle boxes, I rarely hear about modular organizers that don't let tiny rings visit their neighbors.

hahahaha that's exactly what i had mine in before i decided to streamline it all with the tackle boxes. i do love those things for my food though. my leftovers were getting pissed at being put in old cottage cheese containers and wanted their snap stuff back. :)

seriously though, the ones i have work great even for 20 ga. i don't have anything smaller but i have no problems with those even coming close to slipping through to other compartments.

I've got 2 types of ring storage, portable and what stays home.

In the craft section of Walmart I found large craft organizers with removable lids - I have one each for 4 different ring sizes and scales, filled to bursting with each color of AA, rubber, clasps, and other stuff I use on a regular basis. At least one of these travels with me everywhere I go in a backpack - I can pull the box out, snap the lid off and put the box in the lid, put it on my lap, and work wherever I am. A lot of the time I'll take a box to the diner and work/drink coffee/chat up waitresses all day.

Each box only has 24 sections, though, so the rest of my rings that get stored at home go in whatever is handy. I'd like to lie and say I have some great organizational system, but I absolutely do not. A lot of rings (when I saw cut 2-4 lbs of BA at a shot) goes into a blue plastic coffee can, and I've got maybe 10-12 of those floating around. If it's slightly less, it goes into an extra large peanut butter jar, and I've got maybe 8 of those. But, this system devolves pretty quick - I have rings in little plastic storage bins, rings in empty gatorade bottles, and a lot of bags of rings in a spackle bucket.

If anyone has a large-scale (100+ lbs of rings) storage system in place already... I'd love to see it.

that actually sounds pretty handy, as long as you know what's in everything! :) what i might suggest, having no real concept of just how many rings there are in 100+ lbs, is under-the-bed bins with wheels. i have a few of those (not for rings, i have only maybe 12-15 lbs total) but they are great for organization and the wheels roll really well even on carpet (at least the very cheap typical apartment carpet i have lol).

another thing that might work would be comic book long boxes. these, obviously, don't have wheels but are hella sturdy and probably cheaper.

of course, with both of these you'd still have to provide your own dividers, but it might help get everything in the same place at least. heck, your coffee and peanut butter jars would probably work really well with them, depending on their sizes.

but, really, since i really have no concept of just how much volume 100 lbs of rings take up, i'm not sure if these ideas are feasible or not. just a thought. :)

I might be getting into dice bag nerd territory here... But do you guys think it would be possible for me to construct a belt pouch that could contain a small supply of rings and a pair of pliers? If I had a long commute such as a bus ride I could take something like this with me and make simple stuff. Or perhaps pieces of more complex objects and assemble them later at home.

This is the opposite end of the spectrum from the big tackle box because a huge selection isn't necessary, only portability.

Edited by Tamren

Pockets work great so why not a pouch? I've carried rings in a bag with pliers in little cloth sacks before so you'd have no problem doing that. If you want to make a pouch out of chain for chain then you will need a zip lock baggy or something to keep the loose rings from potentially getting caught up in the weave of the bag.

I do mostly armorcrafting, so my rings are a bit larger than the typical jewelry maker, and I use a LOT of them, so my solution may not be right for you, but it works for me. My local grocery store sells the 16 oz peanut butter cheaper per ounce than the huge jars. The jars are plastic with plastic screw on lids. I just wash out the jars once the peanut butter is gone and use those. When I am weaving, I can put the lids upside down on the table and fill the lid with rings. This keeps them well corralled and I when finished with that weaving session, I just dump them back in the jar and seal the lid.

Again, may not be suitable for your situation, but it is FREE and reuses containers.

my rings are a bit larger than the typical jewelry maker

Wow those rings must be HUGE! :P

I've got dozens of little plastic drawers on a wall in my room, that's where I plan to store most of my rings. For big quantities I saved up a bunch of glass jars. For huge quantities, I've got some 3L and 5L transparent plastic fish food jars, but I'm not sure if I'll need those as I make mostly jewellery.

Pockets work great so why not a pouch? I've carried rings in a bag with pliers in little cloth sacks before so you'd have no problem doing that. If you want to make a pouch out of chain for chain then you will need a zip lock baggy or something to keep the loose rings from potentially getting caught up in the weave of the bag.

Hah I hit on a neat solution. I have this messenger bag with a single shoulder strap. The top half is padded and has a pouch for a cellphone. But the bottom half is just a strap, like any other belt. On this belt I have this little half-moon shaped pouch that contains my sunglasses. I got it a long time ago when I bought a pair of Ryder shades which have since broken and been replaced. What I just remembered was that I have a second pouch. Its almost exactly the same, only red. I mounted both of them on the belt and they fit snugly. I now have 3 pouches running down my chest, like a wizard :P. My wubbers don't fit but my old TRL pliers fit perfectly. Loose rings I can carry in a pocket, pliers can go in the red pouch. I'm all set.

Loose rings won't be a problem because I won't take a link out of my pocket unless I plan to immediately use it. The problem now is how to hold up my work and avoid dropping it. Hmm...

Heh I remember my mother doing some sewing and I accidentally knocked one of those over. Needlegeddon, and I had to sort it out. Still thats a great idea. Superior to the fishing tackle box as long as you don't need to go portable.

First post, I've been stalking the forum for awhile but had to comment on this one.

This really works well for AA small jewelry rings.

I use pill containers, as in the sorted 7 day a week type. I found a really large one that had removable dividers for AM/PM pills. It holds my rings perfectly and is awesome for travel, since there is a child lock I never spill more than 1 "days" worth. You also never open the ring section you don't need.

I can vouch for those too =) A friend of mine could occassionally donate some prescription bottles (sans pills, lol) to me and I definately still use them. It is also helpful that you can pour a few rings into the lid and then snap it back onto the bottle "upside-down" so that you have a little cup for your immediate rings and the rest of the rings still have a relatively decent lid!

Edited by Gunter

time to show my age

the old containers that used to come with 35mm film are good for small rings, if you have them around or can even find them anymore. I have flip-top plastic pipette tip boxes I recycled from work, in stead of just throwing them away. but they only work for larger rings. I like the jar idea too.

A tardy reply, but I sprung for screw-stacking, clear plastic jewlery containers. I can quickly unscrew a few compartments and rearrange them to create a portable set of just what I need. I store larger quantities of rings in cream cheese containers because they nest when empty.

Not storage, but I use a $0.49 paint pallet to hold rings when working -- the curved bottom makes it easier to get the next ring out than any sort of flat-bottomed container or tray.

I bought some bead organizers from walmart, only cost $5 and they're the perfect size for my jewelry rings. I keep all the precious metals in one, partly cause i'm paranoid someone will break in and steal, so its easy to hide one rather than a bunch, haha.

I have several ways of organizing. all of which are a little insane... Then again maybe not LOL

We live in a very very small trailer, 2 adults and our 2 boys. So space and storage are a huge issue for us. For my armor rings I have a pretty large, watertight tacklebox, bottom portion is just a giant empty bin devided in 2 (one for loose rings and one for whichever portion of the mail Im working on at that moment) upper devided tray on lid holds extra pre opened / closed rings so I dont have to search for them again. I needed this watertight because it actually lives on our patio when Im not working on it LOL.

For all my jewelry rings, I have 4 oz canning jars (the kinds with the screw rings and flat seal lids seperatly) I have different guages / ID in each jar, and they are small, lightweight etc that I can toss a few into the handy little pockets I sewed in my book bag to hold them :) I just lable the removable seal part, and can switch those out depending on whats in them. Pliers etc live in my purse no matter what (you wouldnt believe how many people need help straigtening out a coat hanger when they lock their keys in the car!) The jars live in a box under the bed unless Im working. Saves space, and can go anywhere.

Seri~

I mostly use 16g 1/4"ID rings for my chainmail and don't travel with it much. What I use around the house though is a 4 compartment organiser for 5 gallon buckets. Each compartment is a few inches deep and I keep rings in two of them, my pliers and file in another and my project until it grows too big in the other.

I also have a small mat of rubber that is usually used to line toolboxes to work on in order to protect the table and it has enough give so I can link my rings easier.

Recently I've found that I can't organize my stuff worth a damn. Every single flat surface in my house quickly aquires a layer of random junk. To avoid this I have been trying to keep my worktable as empty as possible. I store my rings under the table in a big plastic bin. Whenever I work on something I choose only those ring sizes I plan to use and fill little containers. Pill bottles and film canisters in this cast. Clear plastic when possible, otherwise I just tape a ring to the lid to show what size is inside.

This has worked pretty well for me. But I do want to look into some kind of condensed storage that doesn't involve a lot of separate containers. Currently I use old plastic tupperware for most of my stock. But I hate the stuff. Some of it is north of 10 years old and they still exude this horrible choking plastic chemical smell.