matrain1

Link Containers?

Some of it is north of 10 years old and they still exude this horrible choking plastic chemical smell.

yikes! i'm thinking you should probably throw that out, or maybe recycle it. that CAN'T be healthy!!

My current system is multi-compartment storage containers with excess rings stored in ziploc bags in a drawer. A couple of the shows I do are out of town and I needed a compact way to carry a wide selection with me. The containers I use have 32 compartments each and ridges in the lid which help keep rings from mixing. Unfortunately, they don't snap closed very securely but I solved this problem with some elastic straps I got at a dollar-store. Now I can bring some of *everything* and it all fits in a plastic bankers box I happened to have around. The 3 smaller containers at the top-left of the top picture (they are standing on end in the bankers box) hold clasps, findings & other odds & ends.

ringcontainers.jpg

bankersbox.jpg

I do very much the same thing as Pauline, Altho my boxes are a bit smaller they are the same idea. Multiple compartments with the plastic lip on the top to keep things from wandering, I can fit 24 or so in my duffel bag. Keeps them all flat so I don't have to worry to much about little rings wandering. The duffle also has pockets for Tools, wire and the various other odds and ends I tow with me to events. I can basicly take every thing I have to any event on a shoulder strap, Keeps organization at home easier too.

I lay mine flat when travelling (they still fit in the same space that way) but it's more convenient at home to stand them on end. I have a small bag I keep all my tools in that I throw on top. I like the box (for now anyway) 'cause it has wheels on it so it's much easier for me to manage.

I work with jewelry size rings. For that, if you use a tackle box you still have to have the rings in something. They don't make a tackle box (that I have seen) that can contain a 24G 1/16 ring from slipping into the container next to it and trust me, seperating 4oz of 20g 1/8 AB from 1 lb of the same size stainless is NO FUN!

I have a few types of containers. Deep storage is in baby food jars. These tend to stick closed, so opening them usually involves cutting the lid. As such, they are longer term storage. Second is small zip lock bags from the craft store. I get the 1"x2", and the 2"x3" ones for $3 a box. These work good. Third, for the larger sizes I bought two spice racks at a flea market. the spice containers are plastic. They are can shaped about 1.25" dia, 3" tall with a screw cap. These are WONDERFUL! The screw cap works good as a working dish. I dump some of the rings into the lid and sit the lid on my work surface. It keeps the rings I'm working with nice and neat.

I also have used some prescription bottles and old vitamin bottles. Contact a grandparent. Once you let them know you need some, you will have a steady supply. Some garage sale price stickers on the cap are a good way to mark them.

I started out a beader, you know, so I have a zip up nylon bag that holds 5 compartment trays of 20 compartments each, it has five exterior pockets for extras, and the flip up top has elastic sewn onto the inside to hold at least 4 pairs of pliers. It was $20 in the beading section at Wally world. I usually drag this and my hinged, fold-able, snaps sealed, plastic beading board to Mom's every weekend so I can maille while we spend quality time... I will just load a half dozen bags of rings and a couple pairs of pliers into my bead board if I'm going somewhere else.

Of course, I'm pretty much only doing jewelry so I don't have to haul much more than that.

*edit* Though agreeing with Bob, I have to keep the really small rings in the plastic bags in the compartments to prevent mixing.

Edited by Nevar

I keep mine in a Plano, I believe, container box...You can create how big the compartments are inside....Also you use the top to mail and it has a small lip around the outside of the top...It helps the rogue rings from sliding off...You can also get it a Wal-Mart for around $10.00 i think...I am also thinking of getting one of those table top nail/screw holders with the pull out drawers as soon as I can locate one...

Thomas

ringcontainers.jpg

I just can't stand to think what would happen if one of those were open and got bumped. I love my giant 7day pill organizers. I can open only the compartments I need.

However I do see the need when you have so many different species of rings.

I just can't stand to think what would happen if one of those were open and got bumped. I love my giant 7day pill organizers. I can open only the compartments I need.

However I do see the need when you have so many different species of rings.

Haha! Hasnt' happened yet but I'm sure it will eventually. I use small trays lined with martek (the fabric beading mats are made from) to work from so those containers are only open long enough to get out small amounts of whatever ring(s) I'm working with.

I just finished doing inventory & organizing over the weekend--those ringboxes are now all full and once my order gets here next week I'll have another one about 1/3 full.

I'm relatively new to the chain maille world but, I do believe I have finally found my passion. I'm easily distracted by clutter so, I have to stay well organized. I have found a few items that keep my rings/findings in order, are easily portable and work beautifully for me.

I started with these. I have found them at Michael's and usually pick one up when I find one of their 50% off coupons. I keep one for each gauge of wire. The left side holds metric sized rings while the right side holds SAE/inch sized ones. I can easily remove and take with me only the container of sizes that I need. They are very much like the seven day pill containers with an additional locking mechanism to keep them from coming open accidentally. My label maker is indispensable for marking what sizes of what gauges go into which book.

EP101027060_bg.jpg

I have, recently, come across these at one of our local overstock stores and had to jump right on them. Both of these fit neatly in a bookcase that I keep near my work table for easy recognition/retrieval.

L11727864.jpg

I keep some beading supplies in these. I love them for their portability and versatility. They have tool pockets both inside and out and a super comfortable, adjustable, shoulder strap.

EP101027067_bg.jpg

They come with five of these which leaves a little open space at the top to add a couple of the containers from the first pic. You can toss anything into the bags, really. Perhaps a sandwich or your tooth brush.

:D

EP101027067_alt2_bg.jpg

I can't work on large amounts of mail at a time (I get bored and distracted), so I have vast amounts of film canisters, pill bottles and assorted confectionery tins (mints, gum, those sorts) that I keep rings in, that way I can set a goal for myself (one canister, for example) and get that done, without it being too overwhelmingly much for me to do in one go.

EDIT: I also used to do a lot of fishing before I moved into the city, so I have tons of those clear organizers, in all varieties (from the size of an Altoid tin to a double-decker one the size of my laptop) that I like to keep things I know I won't use in the near future in, as well as one for bits of uncut coils, split rings, and tools.

Edited by Milquetoast

@ Pauline: WOW!

I use bead-containers with compartments. I have 5 total in various sizes & types (I found one type I really liked & bought 3, but I can't find them anymore :/ So I just go with whatever looks secure/is on sale). They all stay stacked up on a shelf, & for mailling at home I have little origami trays I made + the plastic cases of my Intuition razors, I just fill one of those with a small project's worth of rings and take to my desk! Feels like I'm doling out drugs to myself sometimes, lol.

For traveling, I have a 6th plastic-carrier thing, the only one I've ever found that's A) relatively small (its only about as big as a large paperback) and B ) has a secure latch on the lid. It has 5 compartments, one big one that I can squeeze pliers into & 4 smaller ones for holding 1 or 2 project's worth of rings, perfect for weekend trips when I know I'll have some down time.

Edited by Mage Weave Designs

I use bead-containers with compartments. I have 5 total in various sizes & types (I found one type I really liked & bought 3, but I can't find them anymore :/ So I just go with whatever looks secure/is on sale).

I hate when that happens! I was putting rings away yesterday and thinking that I need one more container and I should pick up a few extra just in case. They've been working out really well for me and I've finally got my inventory under control.

I think I'm going to see if my BF will help me build a box for them so they'll fit into slots like a tool chest. Add some heavy duty wheels and a collapsible handle and it'll be portable and easy to move around.

I use fishing tackle boxes for most all my stuff. When I want to take something to work on at work or school I load up a smaller box and keep that in a crown royal bag with my pliers. This is the lager bag that comes with the huge bottle, my friends dad does catering so he has a bunch. Though I ended up using the draw string from the bag for a chain maille bag lol

I have a large and a small Plano tackle box that I keep my tools, common findings, common (for me) rings, and my current projects. Then I have one of those organizer units with all the drawers for leftovers, specialty findings, excess rings of any given size (I use a lot of 18ga SStl 3/16" ID). I also have a binder that I keep notes, sketches, design ideas, paper tutorials, and current price sheets, so I can grab and go. It makes it easier for me to estimate prices when I meet clients (though I tell them it's just an estimate and I work up a formal quote for them). I'm toying with the idea of getting a netbook or an iPad to keep those things in. It also will allow me access to the M.A.I.L. library to show other weaves that I haven't done yet but am happy to learn. I have one client that has a bought a bracelet in every pattern I've learned so far and he keeps bugging me for more. I gave him the link the weave library. I haven't heard from him in a week. LOL

Back on topic,

The only thing I don't like about the tackle boxes is the little trays with the dividers are not good for very small rings. The rings always work their way under the dividers into the next slot. I would love to find some craft boxes with individual opening holes that fit in my Plano boxes. That would be ideal. The other thing I thought about doing is hot gluing the dividers in and then running a bead of silicone caulking on each side of the divider to keep things from going through. But that's a lot of work for a cheap little box.

I have 4 small organizers. 1 is for EPDM rubber rings, another for anodized aluminum, another for nickel/brass/copper/steel/stainless and other mid price stuff (i also put BA in this one because of the lack of leftover room in my AA organizer), and the last one is for higher end stuff like titanium/niobium/gold/silver

Well my desk is covered in plastic bags and tupperware containers but its my bday next week and I'm asking for this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ToolStorage/PartsStorage/PRDOVR~0581036P/Mastercraft%252B33-Drawer%252BMetal%252BCabinet.jsp?locale=en

However, the best find I made was at the dollar store, a 4 compartment snack tray. The tray is made of heavy plastic and is perfect for jewelry size rings. Plus they stack nicely so I can leave my tray workspace set up yet still easily hide them from the cats when I go to bed :P I have 3 of these right now but i'll be grabbing more for sure

5407098338_9df605eaa5.jpg

Pardon the awful picture quality :(

Well my desk is covered in plastic bags and tupperware containers but its my bday next week and I'm asking for this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ToolStorage/PartsStorage/PRDOVR~0581036P/Mastercraft%252B33-Drawer%252BMetal%252BCabinet.jsp?locale=en

However, the best find I made was at the dollar store, a 4 compartment snack tray. The tray is made of heavy plastic and is perfect for jewelry size rings. Plus they stack nicely so I can leave my tray workspace set up yet still easily hide them from the cats when I go to bed :P I have 3 of these right now but i'll be grabbing more for sure

5407098338_9df605eaa5.jpg

Pardon the awful picture quality :(

why not just get the Mastercraft 60-Drawer Plastic Parts Cabinet for a couple of dollars more

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ToolStorage/PartsStorage/PRDOVR~0581084P/Mastercraft%252B60-Drawer%252BPlastic%252BParts%252BCabinet.jsp?locale=en

a dollar says that the answer is because there's more variety of sizes with the 33 size, which can allow for her to store more common rings in bigger quantities.

yeah just thought of that :P

I want you all to post back here when you find those small cabinets full of drawers are far from sufficient. I have hundreds of locking Tupperware. It is far from enough. I need many more.

There is a fair chance it will happen to you too.

Muahahahahaha........

Watch out those cabinets are usually made to hang on a wall so they are back less. I still stand by my plano boxes, I have 2 big ones and 1 small 1 (will try and get pics tonight). To all the people who do like the becuase the rings migrate, just glue the bottoms and put a thin layer of foam on the top. If you don't glue the foam in the top you can use it as a work surface :).

I want you all to post back here when you find those small cabinets full of drawers are far from sufficient. I have hundreds of locking Tupperware. It is far from enough. I need many more.

There is a fair chance it will happen to you too.

Muahahahahaha........

hahahaha.... exactly. I had that happen when I used to buy beads for works.

I prefer keeping around 5-10,000 rings in each variety I use, but those containers are laughable for such purposes.

I believe I have a unique answer: mooncake tins! Those of you who are not Asian or have never worked at an international airport probably don't have any idea what a mooncake is, but they tend to come in tins. We had to confiscate our share of them during mooncake season (late September through October) and some of them were small enough to be useful. I hoarded all of those that I could and now use them for projects or ring storage. I shall take a picture if I can when I get home today to illustrate.

I also have a ton of other storage solutions as well, but they're pretty common. Most of my 16 ga rings are in plastic baggies sorted by material and color (for AA) and then put into some of those little rubbermaid storage drawers. I went originally with plastic baggies because they are easy to just grab and throw into my tool bag to take along with me. That was before I got so many darn rings though. Now they just kind of get stuck in wherever. I must say that I really don't like the circular plastic containers that screw into each other. The threads invariably wear out or the top cracks and rings end up ALL OVER the bottom of my bag.

I believe I have a unique answer: mooncake tins! Those of you who are not Asian or have never worked at an international airport probably don't have any idea what a mooncake is, but they tend to come in tins. We had to confiscate our share of them during mooncake season (late September through October) and some of them were small enough to be useful. I hoarded all of those that I could and now use them for projects or ring storage. I shall take a picture if I can when I get home today to illustrate.

I also have a ton of other storage solutions as well, but they're pretty common. Most of my 16 ga rings are in plastic baggies sorted by material and color (for AA) and then put into some of those little rubbermaid storage drawers. I went originally with plastic baggies because they are easy to just grab and throw into my tool bag to take along with me. That was before I got so many darn rings though. Now they just kind of get stuck in wherever. I must say that I really don't like the circular plastic containers that screw into each other. The threads invariably wear out or the top cracks and rings end up ALL OVER the bottom of my bag.

I am neither Asian, nor have I worked for an international airport, but I do know what a mooncake is.