lorenzo

New scale shirt, with sleeves.

This shirt was mostly a bunch of seperate experiments over the years that I finally patchworked together into a haubergeon. I think it turned out pretty well considering.

These are the old gen 1 nickel plated spring steel scales, to give you an idea of how long it's taken me to get around to finishing this(8 years!?). Weight is about 23lbs and size is American standard size large. Most of the rings are spring stainless 16g 5/16" butted but many of them are also welded 16g 5/16" since I had just started experimenting with the welder while building this.

Most of the other experiments were design related, getting the sleeves and shoulders to look good and still be flexible, making the maille transitions as seamless as possible in the ampits, using edging on the top and bottom, etc.

post-12-12815054973_thumb.jpg

post-12-128150553123_thumb.jpg

post-12-128150557211_thumb.jpg

It's a nice shirt but I prefer small scales so I'll probably sell this one to fund the next project.

It...it's just soo shiny. :mellow:. I think that's what my vest wants to be when it grows up....I just cant get over how shiny it is.

Edited by Ozgand

It...it's just soo shiny. :mellow:.

I was totally thinking the same thing! lol it's sooooo shiny i could die!!! if that's THAT shiny, i can't imagine what one with the mirror scales would look like!!!

I hope so,that is close to what I have to make next , thanks for the pictures, I was thinking of using chain under the arms of the sleeves but wasn't sure how it would look or work out but thanks to your pictures I see it will work just fine for the shirt I am making .

It is shiny! Nicely done. So do people want to pet you when you wear it? I wore a bracer to a local Faire made with the small original Worth scales, and had people wanting to pet it like it was some sort of animal.

It is shiny! Nicely done. So do people want to pet you when you wear it? I wore a bracer to a local Faire made with the small original Worth scales, and had people wanting to pet it like it was some sort of animal.

I get pet a lot just when wearing normal maille. I think that wearing scales would greatly increase your petability.

lorenzo, thanks for posting this at an amazingly opportune time. I've got a number of large patches of scales assembled, and need to figure out how to tailor them into a shirt, or at least a vest, by next weekend for a renfaire.

Thanks for the compliments everybody.

Sithus; Yep, when I wear it I get people asking to pet me pretty much constantly.

Zlosk; I can post detail shots, if you want them let me know.

I'd love to see details of (1) the top of the shoulder and (2) the armpit. Also, I was wondering if the V in the back of the neck was an artistic choice or if there was a specific tailoring issue that required it.

Here's two of the armpit.

post-12-128160107142_thumb.jpg

post-12-128160110216_thumb.jpg

And one of the shoulder.

post-12-128160112683_thumb.jpg

All the connections are loose and simple to maintain mobility.

The "V" at the back of the neck is exaggerated because I have my arms raised in that picture. When my arms are lowered it looks very similar to the front of the neckline.

When I make scale shirts I always use a diamond shaped neckhole. Scales tend to sag when you leave a flat at the bottom of the neckhole because they aren't supported by anything above them, it looks unsightly. I also like to work on the bias because it's easy and leaves a clean looking edge.

For example look at this costume

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=3850

It looks good but the flat bit of the neckline right below his face is all fudged up. (Also the way he did his sleeves looks good but I can tell you from experience that sleeves like that can't be raised above your head easily, if at all.)

i was actually thinking of only putting the scales 3/4 of the way around the arm and continuing the chain from the armpit to the bottom edge of the sleeve on the inside of the arm and possibly alittle ways down on the trunk . so that there would better movement and maybe ventilation since he will be running around in it. lookinh at your pictures, I am feeling a bit more confident about my planned design.

That's a good idea, it couldn't hurt and it will probably help. Another important consideration for sleeves is to make a euro4-1 trim attached to the bottom layer of scales, it keeps the sleeve from flopping around when you swing your arms.

I'm listing my materials, as I don't believe that they are available anymore, and I'm not sure if my numbers will match up to the current offerings.

Scales: Hardened stainless, large (SCALELG-SS-HARD), 1.40" tall x 0.88" wide

Rings: Coined split rings for large scales (SPLITSCALE7), 0.36" ID x 0.05" wire diameter

When stretched vertically, horizontal spacing of scales is about 0.97". When stretched horizontally, horizontal spacing of scales is about 1.20".

I've got about a 43" chest and 35" waist, so I think that there's going to be a fight between making the garment fit well and being able to put in on without being woven into it. I was wondering if there is an optimal (or at least preferred) stretch that should be targetted when tailoring.

Decent flexibility for that scale/ring combo, scales are the same size as mine. Rings are a bit less flexible than what I 'm using, I get a minimum spacing of .93", but still good.

With your measurements it going to be pretty borderline getting the waist to fit snugly and still get it over your head. Go for minimal horizontal stretch when wearing it and it should be possible. You'll need to either forgo e4-1 trim around the bottom edge or make a deep split to be able to get it on. Also make sure to give yourself enough room under the arms for your latissimus muscles, don't try to make it narrower to fit your waist or you'll have trouble breathing and moving.

I want to pet it. =[ I imagine it'd feel just like a giant snake... Or a DRAGON! =O! And it's so shiny... Now I want to know how hard it'd be to *Make* a dragon costume with scales... -looks disparately for a good reason to start one-

I want to pet it. =[ I imagine it'd feel just like a giant snake... Or a DRAGON! =O! And it's so shiny... Now I want to know how hard it'd be to *Make* a dragon costume with scales... -looks disparately for a good reason to start one-

check your local con listings :D

Not many in the immediate area, and I don't drive. =[ Maybe I'll take up Amt Guard... As a dragon? It sounds reasonable enough to me >.<! Or maybe a future Halloween... Or I can kick and scream until my dad agrees to take me to one for my birthday... -scrambles to make a post about November ren faire's in WA-

Very awesome! Working on my own shirt now, I much prefer your solution to the shoulder/armpit joints to the one I was working with. Time to hit the graph paper see if I can incorporate the new ideas!

I have started mine and while i am still working mostly on the scale part and getting the bear claw print worked out on the front, I was curious about what size rings would be the best fit for linking the shoulders and for under the arms. I am using the split rings for the scale construction and would love to be able to do welded rings but can't afford the welder right now. Also what would be the best material for the rings, i usually work with Aluminum for Nero armor, but for this one i think they would be too soft/easy to bend and the seams would not hold up to the weight of the shirt. is it possible to use weave the split rings into a sheet and use those?

so 16g 5/16? would Stainless steel ones rather then spring stainless work, I have not tried to the spring stainless ones yet and i am not sure he is paying me nearly enough if they are really 3x harder to bend. unless I can figure out a way to weave the split rings...

Yeah I'd use the split rings if i were you, 16g 1/4 stainless would work too. The size isn't terribly critical, they just have to be strong enough to not pull open.