BaruMonkey

What's your weaving speed?

After timing myself a few times, I've found that it takes me about 20 to 40 seconds per ring (~90 to 180 rings per hour), depending on the weave, the type of ring, and whatever else may be distracting me at the time.

What do you clock in at?

300 rings per hour *mostly* regardless of weave or ring size. Exceptions include anything fiddly (24g and smaller, weaves like CIR or inverted spiral) and rings which require me to use brute force like stainless in 14g copper in 10g, etc--I have good hand strength but spindly little arms (my wrists are exactly the same size as an empty paper towel roll :lol: ).

Like you said, it varies considerably based on the weave, size/A.R. of the links, etc. Best figure I can give you is with a recent byzantine chain for an anklet; 492 19 gauge 1/8 i.d. copper links took me 2.5 hours total; if it wasn't so small and tight, I probably could have done it faster...

As far as armor goes, it also varies based on the part of the suit I am weaving. I can fill out panels fairly quickly (at least I think so), as long as I have the links handy, but I really slow down when I have to make more or I am linking panels together... (I have this 'THING' about screwing up and needing to tear out and redo work, unless it is a first time experiment... :rolleyes: )

About 10 secs per 2 rings -e4-1 or persian 3-, that's what .. 2x6x60=720 rings an hour .. if of course I am actually paying attention for the FULL hour, which isn't likely.

Nevar, the easiest thing I have found to do is this:

- count out 100 rings--you can do less but I feel longer individually timed sessions give a better average

- have your weave already started

- start timing and weave your 100 rings

- stop timing and count your minutes worked

- Calculate: 60 divided by <minutes worked> times 100 (or rings counted out) equals rings per hour

For me this is (on average):

60 / 20 x 100 = 300

Repeat several times with the same and different weaves and rings.

About 10 secs per 2 rings -e4-1 or persian 3-, that's what .. 2x6x60=720 rings an hour .. if of course I am actually paying attention for the FULL hour, which isn't likely.

Holy crap! 5 seconds per ring? Do you pay any attention to the quality of your closures?

I usually figure about 200 per hour, as I tend to maille either while watching TV (mentally distracting) or riding the bus or train (physically distracting). Public transportation pretty much guarantees I'm working on armor, as trying to get decent closures on dinky jewelry-sized rings while getting jostled around is nigh impossible.

I think I'm about 100 rings per hour when doing Euro 4-1 in 24 ga x 1/16 ID, no distractions.

I'm with Zlosk - I also usually figure 200 per hour. I can do faster than that, but I prefer weaving when watching tv or chatting on the computer, at least for bigger projects.

A few days ago I did 19ga stainless in a train around 2-3AM. I don't think I managed 200 an hour.. :sigh:

I've timed myself a few times at about 300-350 per hour for armor (16ga SS 1/4" - e 4-1). But as everyone else has said, that assumes no outside distractions, like TV, typing or visiting etc.

Jewelry always slows me down too...I've got big hands and I much prefer linesmans over needlenose (Im actually better with linesmans until I go smaller than 18 ga 3/16), and the weave is a big factor as well.

Ultimately it's not how fast you are, its how good you are....your closures have to be done right, and if you mess up, it takes three times longer to fix it than if you had slowed down and done it right! :)

In any case, keep mailling! Even 1 ring a minute is better than letting your brain go to mush in front of the TV all evening.

Holy crap! 5 seconds per ring? Do you pay any attention to the quality of your closures?

Absolutely. That's what takes me so long :)

A couple of poor pictures included -6am and I need to get a new editing program-

post-1028-128420415814_thumb.jpg

post-1028-128420417719_thumb.jpg

My top speed was 900+ rings/hr, I'm probably a bit slower now since I hardly ever weave by hand anymore.

I usually weave at a more reasonable speed of ~600 rings/hr because that's a speed I can maintain for 8-10 hours per day with good closures.

Rings smaller than 20g or larger than 16g slow me down about 25%, smaller than 22g and larger than 14g slow me down about 50%, tight weaves also slow me down about 50%.

I average about 8 seconds per ring in 16-20 gauge. That includes all metals I've worked with from copper (softest) to stainless (hardest I'm referring to). The exception to that is spring stainless in 16g, the 16g spring stainless or 14 gauge regular stainless bumps me up to 12-14 seconds per ring (depends on how sore my hands are at any given time). Exceptions made for finicky weaves of course. Anything I need to use my magnifying headset on to see the links better (read smaller than 20g 1/8) bumps me even higher at 16 seconds per link or so. Add in a finicky weave to the small links and it goes as high as 20 seconds per link. If I am making multiples of similar items then after the first few I tend to speed up when settling into the pattern so it could knock a couple of seconds per link off. So a generic answer is 6-20 seconds per link, depending.

TML

I average about 8 seconds per ring in 16-20 gauge. That includes all metals I've worked with from copper (softest) to stainless (hardest I'm referring to). The exception to that is spring stainless in 16g, the 16g spring stainless or 14 gauge regular stainless bumps me up to 12-14 seconds per ring (depends on how sore my hands are at any given time). Exceptions made for finicky weaves of course. Anything I need to use my magnifying headset on to see the links better (read smaller than 20g 1/8) bumps me even higher at 16 seconds per link or so. Add in a finicky weave to the small links and it goes as high as 20 seconds per link. If I am making multiples of similar items then after the first few I tend to speed up when settling into the pattern so it could knock a couple of seconds per link off. So a generic answer is 6-20 seconds per link, depending.

TML

that depends are you mailing for volume or fun? I am no where near that speed and my stuff gets done when it dones. I am like the little old lady who sits and knits all the time. I find it relaxing , if I had to start worrying about speed, I think it would take some of the enjoyment out of it.

that depends are you mailing for volume or fun? I am no where near that speed and my stuff gets done when it dones. I am like the little old lady who sits and knits all the time. I find it relaxing , if I had to start worrying about speed, I think it would take some of the enjoyment out of it.

Since I have a business making and selling chainmail, it is sometimes about the volume. I do still enjoy mailling in general, especially when developing new patterns for pieces. But, since I am a business I occasionally take orders with time constraints so I need to know just how quickly I can work any type of item to give people a time estimate and know if I can complete something in the time specified. Please note that this thread is in the "Maille Industry" sub-board, not general discussion or anything so I think he was asking the people who run it as a business, guessing that they would be quicker than the hobbyists.

TML

I'm there along with Zlosk or Thomas. About 200 rings in general with your average jewelry project but less or more if working on harder or easier projects. I guess my spectrum goes from 120-360 rings per hour - as a guideline.

But of course it doesn't matter how quick I am if the closures are bad. That's why I don't bother to do it faster. Quality, not quantity :) I need a nice balance to it and weave "just fast enough" depending on what I'm working on. Though, I wish I was as fast as lorenzo...!

Cheers and happy mailling.

Aye and aye , but for most folks there's always a time when you wonder how fast you are. When I started 5-6 years ago I timed myself at 30secs a ring, and my closures were poor-fair at speed. Quality is the important thing, so I took my time and learned better closures. After a year I thought "I wonder how fast I am now?" .. and timed myself again, 20 secs a ring and fair-good closures.. probly do it once a year just to see how I am improving. It's less a test of my skills, instead it's a benchmark of how far I have come.

yeah I understand the curiosity part, and now that you started this I guess I do wonder or did until Lorenzo posted his 900/minute, that was just so amazing that I am now kind of afraid to even attempt to time myself. I do also understand that for someone who does this for a living, speed and quality go hand in hand but for those us who have been doing this for less time it makes some of us feel welll...slow.

yeah I understand the curiosity part, and now that you started this I guess I do wonder or did until Lorenzo posted his 900/minute, that was just so amazing that I am now kind of afraid to even attempt to time myself. I do also understand that for someone who does this for a living, speed and quality go hand in hand but for those us who have been doing this for less time it makes some of us feel welll...slow.

One of my timings of myself came out at 40 seconds per ring (90 rings per hour). Compare yourself to that :-)

Edited by BaruMonkey

Lorenzo posted his 900/minute, that was just so amazing that I am now kind of afraid to even attempt to time myself.

Is that Lorenzo or one of the machines at TRL? :lol: