Skedros

How many hackey sacks in 30 pounds of ss?

This is a question that I've pondered recently while making the bloody things.

Here's some of the stats/numbers that I'm dealing with:

16 ga ss rings with a 1/4" I.D.: 208 per hackey sack, not counting the 2 queen rings which are 14 ga ss, 5/16" I.D.

Rings to a pound: 400

Thus it's roughly 1.9230769 hackey sacks to a pound or 57-58 hackey sacks when starting with 30 pounds of wire.

Amazing what runs through our heads when we have wire running through our fingers.

:wine:

My math might be slightly off, as I'm only about halfway through this batch of wire and I'm somewhere around 60+ hackey sacks so far.

Your rings per pound seems heavily off.

TRL's SS1614 rings are 400 per .36lb bag, giving roughly 1111rings/lb -- which doesn't include the waste.

Theres no way you could be getting almost 1/3rd the rings.

my rings per pound was taken from TRL's website.

Just checked again and it seems I can't read english. The website reads 400 rings per bag and a bag is 0.36 pounds. No wonder I'm getting more than I figured.

So with the new data, I should get 5.1 hackey sacks per pound or somewhere around 153 hackey sacks for 30 pounds of wire.

Edited by Skedros

Just checked again and it seems I can't read english. The website reads 400 rings per bag and a bag is 0.36 pounds. No wonder I'm getting more than I figured.

At least that's better than getting less than you figured! :) I have a spreadsheet I use to automatically calculate a bunch of stuff and have to make sure to double check if a number is rings per bag, per oz, or per lb. Switching the oz & lb numbers is usually pretty obvious but in some materials the bag & oz numbers are close enough not to be too obvious that I've screwed it up.

Pauline

I've lost track of exactly how many hackey sacks I've ended up with, but I believe it's in the neighborhood of 150 hackey sacks.

On a side note, this design does NOT hold up well to having a truck drive over it. Evidently this happened to one of them, but I haven't seen it yet.

When I run out of rings, I'll post a picture of the remaining pile.

Edited by Skedros

Are you adding rice or beans to the final weight of the sack, that is what they are traditionally added with. Seems like lotsa weight to be hacking unless it keeps its form

I use a narrow strip of 8 ounce cotton canvas duck cloth. I'd guess that the fabric adds maybe an ounce to the total weight.