MarkyDaSod

3D Printing Process: 'The FOC Punch Bag'

Since I found that link, I've done a little reading and it seems that 3D printing is for quickly making prototypes, or one-off pieces, not for mass production. The media used is some kind of polymer, so for stength, I would guess, it'd be lke plastic.

I did find a company that makes a desk top 3D printer. And at the low, low price of $24,900, you can have one of your very own.

http://www.objet.com/

So what this is really telling us is that its going to be harder to use the "chain maille has to be hand made" argument when we explain prices to our customers? Yay for progress... or something :unsure:. I don't think we can compete with ~$3000 for a handbag, hehe. :lol:

Oh well, at least it is really nifty.

Edited by Gunter

well that process the cost isn't exactly cheap either... so you could be better off going with the hand made... some of the prices for items on that site are high.

Well its strong enough that they've made chairs out of the material... in mass quantities.

They also make chairs out of lexan but a 16 gauge rod is easily broken by hand.

Movak

If you have a go at doing 3d modeling yourself. Even the most simplest 3d programs can do "rings". you can get them printed at http://www.shapeways.com

pricing is by quantity of material used, not by size of the piece made. So in effect you are not paying for the holes in the rings.

Variety of material and strength as well.

Jade