galil86

Tumbling

I have done jewlery sized pieces in a clean peanut butter jar or coffee can, just shake it between comercials.

Another option I have sceen is to use a ball shape and kick it around the yard for a while. a bit more fun as the off center weight causes eratice movment. Great fun if you have a dog.

It seams to take a lot longer expecialy if you need to rush the process. usualy just spending 5-10 minites a day each time I take the dog out for about a week.

You can buy cheap tumblers from harbor freight or build one with a few bits and pieces and a cupple of hours.

If your just cleaning the metals I like chemicals

lemon juice and salt or oxyclean work well but you need to wash them off in clean water then dry.

Well I've got an OLD tin RITZ crackers but since I wasn't seeing much in the way of results I figured I'd ask. but it sounds like I'm just impatient as always. How long would it take with the commercial method?

Depends a lot on what your trying to do.

cleaning usualy 3 hours.

polishing usualy 6-8

deburing usualy 8-10

A lot varys; Media, metal, wet vs dry, type of soap, speed, even how full the barrel is will have an effect.

I'm going for polishing. I have crushed walnut shells filling it most of the way up. What would I add to make it wet, just water?

walnut shell is a dry tumbling media... adding water makes it messy...

But a tumbler from Harbour Freight and a few extra belts or if you can afford it get the Model-T from TRL and be done with it. Plug it in and let it go.

Movak

I bought the 3lb tumbler from Harbor Freight (black Friday sale 10$ off!!!). I tried to tumble just the rings themselves, about 6 oz of bright aluminum, with the drum half full of water and a drop of "original" blue dawn dish soap. Stopped the machine after 3 hours to look see and the rings are blackened....

The harbor freight drums usualy need to be cleaned prior to use.

I've tried cleaning the barrel but I keep getting black ruboff when I dry it off. Looking though the included instructions it say to clean the barrel but does not say what to use to clean the barrel, other then do not use liquid detergent with bleach....

Edited by friedhughes

I've tried cleaning the barrel but I keep getting black ruboff when I dry it off. Looking though the included instructions it say to clean the barrel but does not say what to use to clean the barrel, other then do not use liquid detergent with bleach....

Wish I had found this BEFORE using my tumbler: http://www.cooltools.us/v/vspfiles/images/tumblercontamination.pdf

Avoiding Barrel Breakdown in New Tumblers

If you have just purchased a new tumbler with a rubber barrel and new shot, you need to run the shot in

vinegar and water (50/50) for at least three 20 minute cycles, and then a 20 minute rinse cycle with water

and about 2T baking soda. If you have one of the Harbor Freight Chicago brand tumblers, you are probably

safest running just plain water with 1 drop of castile, pH neutral or ivory soap. Super Sunsheen may be too

caustic, so should be diluted to 50% of recommended strength for good measure. If you have a Lortone or

Thumlers model tumblers, they are much more stable, but be careful not to make your burnishing compounds

too concentrated or cut back to 50% strength to be on the safe side.

If you are shopping at Harbor Freight and checking out their tumblers in person, you can get a good idea of how stable the rubber is to begin with.

Take a piece of white paper and wipe it across the inside of the barrel. If it shows a black residue, don’t buy it. It’s already in a state of breakdown.

Edited by friedhughes

If you try dry Tumbling you might be able to avoid the black rub off. Try using rice or Walnut shells only and see how that works for you.

I am going to return the tumbler today. Depending on how loud the vibratory one is (I live 2nd floor apt) I might pay the extra to get that otherwise I will just exchange it for another rotary. Doing massive forum searching yesterday it seems that its split amongst users as to the quality of the HF tumbler. Its hard to say exactly the % but seems around 60-40 of good product that lasts years (other then shredding belts) vs get a crappy barrel that's breaking down. There also seems to be a wide range of explanations as to what the black rub off is and why its happening. I hoping the vibratory wont be too loud, otherwise I will be sticking with dry media.

Which brings me to next question, is it possible to try tumble for deburring and whats the recommended media for that?

Which brings me to next question, is it possible to try tumble for deburring and whats the recommended media for that?

For rotary you can try stainless steel shot with no soap or water... I've done it multiple times with great success at deburing rings. They will need a cleaning and a polish though.

Cleaning can be done by hand with a good strainer and sink with some dish soap.

Polishing works dry too.

For rotary you can try stainless steel shot with no soap or water... I've done it multiple times with great success at deburing rings. They will need a cleaning and a polish though.

Cleaning can be done by hand with a good strainer and sink with some dish soap.

Polishing works dry too.

So I picked up the vibratory, put it on a rubber mat its not *too* loud, so more like run it during the day while neighbors at work and be none the wear. Got my blackened rings in with white rice now hoping that will clean them out...

So I picked up the vibratory, put it on a rubber mat its not *too* loud, so more like run it during the day while neighbors at work and be none the wear. Got my blackened rings in with white rice now hoping that will clean them out...

If it's a wet/dry (I have the 18lb vib from harbor freight) just put the rings in, fill with hot water to the top of the rings, and add a couple drops of blue dawn. Turn it on, let it run a couple hours, then dump it over a colander or strainer. Your water will run black, your rings will be super shiny and deburred. If you want the peace of mind, do that again - the water will run grey, the rings will be super super shiny and ultra-deburred.

If it's a wet/dry (I have the 18lb vib from harbor freight) just put the rings in, fill with hot water to the top of the rings, and add a couple drops of blue dawn. Turn it on, let it run a couple hours, then dump it over a colander or strainer. Your water will run black, your rings will be super shiny and deburred. If you want the peace of mind, do that again - the water will run grey, the rings will be super super shiny and ultra-deburred.

Its the 5 lb dry version.

Y

Its the 5 lb dry version.

Two houra in the new vibrate with rice and the blackened rings came out 99% clean!!! The rice however... let's just say wow. I see now why its the tool to have!!!

Let's say (purely for sake of argument) that a mailler has the desire to remove the flashing from a freshly welded ring (the protrusion of metal surrounding the join, when the metal is pushed together during the weld). Would it be possible to use either a rotary or vibratory tumbler to perform that task?

What type of media would be required?