fng2maille

Orange Dawn doesn't like copper.

I had a bunch of old tarnished copper rings I needed to clean up today. So I filled my rotary drum with stainless shot and water and a shot of orange Dawn. What the heck it was Dawn right? Wrong after a few hours I opened the drum and the water was black, the shot was black and the rings were black, worse then before.

So I rinsed everything and refilled the drum and put a Tablespoon full of shot cleaner and as an after thought threw the rings in too. I had no idea what the shot cleaner would to to the copper but since I had to cut about 300 more I figured I could coil and cut more if they did not come out O.K.

So 5 or so hours later I took a look and the shot was cleaner and the copper just shined. I mean really shined. Better in my estimation then with burnishing compound.

I do not know if the subject of orange Dawn and copper has come up before. If so ignore this thread if not I would be interested in others experience is with silver.

p.s. I really do know it did not "shined". It "shown", but shined did seem to say how shiny it was. Sometimes correct English just does not do itself justice.

Edited by fng2maille

It was my under standing not to use a scented dish soap. There is stuff in the scented stuff that causes tarnishing.

Edited by stry

It was my under standing not to use a scented dish ship. There is stuff in the scented stuff that causes tarnishing.

Well what ever it was the rings tarnished up real nice,<G>

Thanks for the info I'll pay more attention in the future.

Er. Try it this way, language-wise:

Shone -- it glistened, gleamed, glowed... of itself.

Shined -- something or someone else polished it... until it shone, as above. But the one that shined is separate from the thing that shone. Agent and object.

And the object was then shown off (using an altogether different but doubtless very useful verb) by the agent who was so very proud of his results -- because the agent discovered shot cleaner cleans gucky links too. And everyone admired. Because the agent totally verbed that object. B) :wub:

Konstantin the Red

Thank you Sir, for the English lesson. Reminds me of when I was in the navy I would shine my shoes until they shone and glistened like the sun.<G>

You Sir, also remind me why I was a physics major.

I read your post to my, wife the grammar queen, and she laughed and demanded I sent it to her.

In all honesty thank you.

Mike S.

Hey, I shined shoes in boot, too. Back in the CPO Sharkey era. Heck, in the CPO Sharkey location. You could see the grinder I drilled on in the credit footage. (My Company Commander looked astonishingly like SN Pruitt. They even walked the same way.) I definitely got better at shoe shining, but my spit-shines weren't a patch on what some guys in the company who had more time to work on their shoes than I did managed.

Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive), 1977-1986, two awards Navy Expeditionary. Of which I am quite proud. Made Petty Officer First Class. Whether I'd've made Chief, who knows? I rather doubt it.

Edited by Konstantin the Red