galil86

Pricing

So while working on a Christmas project I had a thought. How hard would it be to make a program that could give an estimated length of a project along with a price for said project? Does such a program already exist? Would it be useful? I'm willing to do the coding for the program, probably just make it in Excel. I know as someone that is wanting to start in the industry it can be a large task to estimate the time and cost of a project. As a soon to graduate industrial engineer I figured I could do a time study to figure out who long it took to do one weave and use a factor scaling method to adjust for different weaves, materials, sizes, etc. So here are my questions.

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

If so, would you be willing to help with information? (especially those of you that are more experienced with different weaves)

What factors should I include in the program?

Would you want it to be something you could hand to a customer?

What other information would you want the program to give you?

What weaves should be included?

What materials should be included?

Is there anything that I'm missing?

Here are the factors that I'm contemplating putting into the program:

Difficulty material

Number of rings

Inlay(s)

"Hourly wage"

Difficulty of weave

I realize that this is a large undertaking however it will be something that I do in my spare time unless there is a huge demand for the program. I can't guarantee when it would be done but the bigger the response I get the quicker it will be finished. So, what does everyone think?

Interesting idea but impractical.

Sorry but in my experience weaving speed is a very individual thing and generalizing weave speed is impossible.

Movak

You can probibly calculate an estamate for your work based on passed projects and your experiance with a basic formula in excell but weave speads vary quite a bit between people depending on ringsize, material, experiance with the weave and other factors.

I know it takes me a lot longer per ring working with .023 at 1/8 then 16 guage 5/16.

Edited by losthelm

I have written my own GUI program, which does more than you list, but it still needs to be supported by empirical data I collect myself such as:

Springback per wire diameter and material

Time per weave per inch per size

Rings per inch per weave per size

Material price

It would be very difficult to scale times based on weaves because weave characteristics do not scale. You would be better off doing an inch of the weave while timing yourself and using that in your calculation.

A pic is attached for reference of my program. Its really similar to the program in the MAIL database but tailored and written by me.

post-1260-129312260671_thumb.jpg

Edited by affinityofmist

I was just looking at doing something that would give a rough estimate and a time goal to shoot for on projects.

I guess this means that there is a program/database already in existence that would do what I'm looking for. Where is this one on MAIL that you speak of? I haven't run across it before.

I was just looking at doing something that would give a rough estimate and a time goal to shoot for on projects.

I guess this means that there is a program/database already in existence that would do what I'm looking for. Where is this one on MAIL that you speak of? I haven't run across it before.

...and by all means write it and make it suit your needs. I didn't like the one on MAIL so I wrote my own. There still is a lot of functionality that can be added to mine, but sometimes I find it easier to add my empirical data so it is tailored to me. If my experience increases and weave speed changes I can just adjust an input instead of rewriting the program. If I want to add a weave to its presets I can without having to fix the logic. I think things like that make the program a little easier to use.

I hope you didn't think that I was telling you not to do it. Spend some time on it and eventually you will get something that suits you. Maillers can be a individualistic and unique bunch. What works and is comfortable for one usually isn't for another.

The one on MAIL is here. Named Ultimate Maille Calculator by Tesserex.

Edited by affinityofmist