Wiccandove

Display for Rings? (Jewelry not jumprings :P)

Hello All

So after my first successful foray at selling some chainmail jewelry in a local artisan shop, I was asked to make some pieces for valentines day. I want to make a few chainmail rings but can't figure out a good way to display them. Any ideas? Should I just go the dowel from home depot route? Thanks in advance :)

off the top of my head i can think of several ways to display rings.

1. if you have a Pat Catans near where you live they now carry ring displays that are real nice i believe about 2 dollars each

2. you can order online from just about any jewelry display suppliers

3. maybe a nice silk hankerchief would work if you put it on your hand then put the ring on your finger over the hankerchief, remove hankerchief and flair the botto out to hold its shape. not sure if this makes any sense lol in my head it does but in words to me doesnt sory

4. cut and play with foam to make a nice ring display

5. make paper mache hands. rubberglove shredded paper and glue

there are a few ideas have you also tried a google search, there are a few sites that have directions and tips for making and displaying jewelry and such

I have sceen a large number of styles.

Empty gloves, the ring holder that sits over the sink. ceramic hands, ring mandrels, wooden dowels, and my favorite livecasting.

live casting kits are available all over the place from good artist or dental supply houses.

usualy it smells a bit odd but the effects can be kickass.

I know people that do livecasting with just a basic doubble boiler and parafin but mine always tears.

You can google supply companies for such things. If you want to, you COULD make them yourself, but its probably cheaper to buy.

Here's two options from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Display-Jewelry-Travel-Insert/dp/B00115CQKU

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Showcase-Countertop-Jewelry-Fixture/dp/B000OVPIES

They'll probably work best only if your rings are fairly solid though.

There's your standard mandrel like ring displays:

http://www.jewelrydisplay.com/browse.cfm/7-f18-economy-white-18-ring-dis/4,5696.html

And a display that uses foam tubes wrapped in fabric, which is a sort of combination of the two:

http://www.findingking.com/p-21497-ring-display-roll-black-velvet-26.aspx?ref=base

I really wouldn't play with just a dowel or attempt to make displays anyhow. Unless you make something that looks almost as good as what you can buy, it could come off as "cheap" and by association make your jewelry look cheaper, regardless of how beautiful and stunning it is.

I REALLY like the napkin DIY idea though too, but if all of your rings are displayed that way, it's going to make people think that you're selling napkin rings. But using a few like that would be interesting, and especially with vibrantly colored napkins.

I've purchased my Jewelry packaging items from RioGrande. They also have nice displays that I've seen in local stores here (or are at least similar to). Check them out here- there are lots of styles to choose from OR you could also just "display" them in your packaging material like one of these...

The dollar stores have better displays then any commercial display supplier. Sure having a few nice busts makes sense, but creating a unique display that totally outclasses the guy selling next to you with the standard felted posts, molded hands, earring racks. You look far more credible as an artisan.

Some examples.

In lieu of glass display boxes I bought glass fronted wooden shadow boxes at the dollar store. I used to put individual silver pieces in them. They could be painted, but I liked the wood finish. They looked like deep picture frames, and the glass slid aside. I liked them for expensive items when I wanted to have some kind of theft deterrent that didn't scream lock down.

I upgraded to larger shadow boxes from Michaels. Also bare wood with a hinged glass door. They are about 1' x 1.5 ' , and 3" deep.

For displaying bracelets I bought about 50 glass vases. They are the height of a wine bottle, about as wide in the middle, and tapered on the top, and bottom. Close a bracelet and drop it on the vase and you have a lovely glass wrist display for the more elaborate bracelets you want to feature.

I still use the vases but now they sit horizontally in a wine bottle rack(from Canadian Tire). Inside the vases are suction cup hooks that hold the ends of necklaces. So on my display I have a wine rack full of glass vases with a plethora of chains in many weaves, and metals that pour from the vases down to the table. Looks awesome, and nothing a commercial display provider sells comes close. Total cost under $20.

My favorite for now is three large glass cylinder vases I got free from Home Outfitters(air miles). I just attach small suction hooks in a neat staggered pattern on the big vases and hang chains from the. So far all bracelets. I have smaller cylinder vases(dollar store) that I hang key chains, cell phone charms, hair clips etc.

For earrings I went really low rent. Walmart brand bakers choice cookie cooling racks. They have a nice black finish, and fold out supports. I then wove them together with rings to make large racks that hold allot of earring cards, can adjust to almost any table setup, and can show allot of stock with a tiny footprint. They not only look better then commercial racks, they attract attention as they are all woven together by me.

I do have store bought felted busts, and molded hand , and ring boards. I don't mean to say that commercial displays are bad, or a mistake. I do however think they are inferior to a creative solution that can cost allot less money. My displays are meant for event, and craft show use. They are easy to travel with, and easy to replace. If I was trying the display in brick and mortar store I would likely want a more commercial, and hopefully durable display.

Edited by Derailed

The dollar stores have better displays then any commercial display supplier. Sure having a few nice busts makes sense, but creating a unique display that totally outclasses the guy selling next to you with the standard felted posts, molded hands, earring racks. You look far more credible as an artisan.

Some examples.

In lieu of glass display boxes I bought glass fronted wooden shadow boxes at the dollar store. I used to put individual silver pieces in them. They could be painted, but I liked the wood finish. They looked like deep picture frames, and the glass slid aside. I liked them for expensive items when I wanted to have some kind of theft deterrent that didn't scream lock down.

I upgraded to larger shadow boxes from Michaels. Also bare wood with a hinged glass door. They are about 1' x 1.5 ' , and 3" deep.

For displaying bracelets I bought about 50 glass vases. They are the height of a wine bottle, about as wide in the middle, and tapered on the top, and bottom. Close a bracelet and drop it on the vase and you have a lovely glass wrist display for the more elaborate bracelets you want to feature.

I still use the vases but now they sit horizontally in a wine bottle rack(from Canadian Tire). Inside the vases are suction cup hooks that hold the ends of necklaces. So on my display I have a wine rack full of glass vases with a plethora of chains in many weaves, and metals that pour from the vases down to the table. Looks awesome, and nothing a commercial display provider sells comes close. Total cost under $20.

My favorite for now is three large glass cylinder vases I got free from Home Outfitters(air miles). I just attach small suction hooks in a neat staggered pattern on the big vases and hang chains from the. So far all bracelets. I have smaller cylinder vases(dollar store) that I hang key chains, cell phone charms, hair clips etc.

For earrings I went really low rent. Walmart brand bakers choice cookie cooling racks. They have a nice black finish, and fold out supports. I then wove them together with rings to make large racks that hold allot of earring cards, can adjust to almost any table setup, and can show allot of stock with a tiny footprint. They not only look better then commercial racks, they attract attention as they are all woven together by me.

I do have store bought felted busts, and molded hand , and ring boards. I don't mean to say that commercial displays are bad, or a mistake. I do however think they are inferior to a creative solution that can cost allot less money. My displays are meant for event, and craft show use. They are easy to travel with, and easy to replace. If I was trying the display in brick and mortar store I would likely want a more commercial, and hopefully durable display.

I would love to see some photos of one of your display booths. Sounds very nice.

If you decide to go the dowel route, try covering them with velvet, that gives the display a more finished look. You could also make a stand to hold several dowels, some with rings, others with bracelets, and others with necklaces. For necklaces you may want to have them attached to something behind and drape them over the dowel so they don't hang as low.

I can think of two options, but it depends on the rings.

If they are stiff, there are velvet trays you can order that have horizontal grooves in them that you just push the rings into in a row. Fire Mountain and Rio Grande both sell these pretty inexpensively.

If the rings will not hold their shape on their own, you can buy various ring holders from both of these vendors as well. They are about 5 "fingers" long, covered in leatherette. You can get them in black or white.

I ran across someplace a while ago that has displays that look like frosted crystal for fairly inexpensive, too, but now I can't remember where they were. It seems to me it was at some place that sells professional photo equipment like lights or light boxes or something like that. I think MK Digital Direct. There is also Display Importer. Let me see if I can figure out how to post some links here for you.

Fire Mountain Gems

Rio Grande

MK Digital Direct

Display Importer