j_betts

Making chainmail rings: Dirty Job?

I've been watching Dirty Jobs lately and thought The Ring Lord might be a good suggestion for the show. They produce an odd (to the general public) product that I think might catch the producer's eye.

Between making rings/coils/scales, maintaining machines, and shipping there should be enough to do for a segment. Add in some of the making chainmail work and I really think it would work.

The one problem I might see is getting flooded with orders so that back orders become a problem. I've seen that happen to a one man shop that opened to internet orders. He got to the point where he was backlogged 3-6 months.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe that the show only does jobs stationed in America.

Careful now... Some of northern brothers and sisters can be a bit touchy. Last time I went thru customs (July 4th, 2009), and they asked me, "State your nationality?". Growing up in Buffalo, and having visited Canada, bunches o' times, I knew to say, "United States". My buddy, who can be a bit slow sometimes, said, "America." He was informed that America is a continent, not a country and asked again, "Where are you from?". The idiot says, "Oh, Virginia."

Yeah, we waisted about an hour at customs.

You are absolutely right. However, it is more a question of if the show makes that same distinction.

I would be very amused to see TRL involved in an episode. (Of course if they are interested as well :P)

I dont' think there's anything specific that says they do only USA based businesses. I'd often considered getting them to tag along with myself and my old boss for a few oil furnace cleanouts and installs.

i think TRL would make a great episode of DJ...except there was one episode during shark week where he actually went out with a dude who was welding maille for a shark suit.

I dont' think there's anything specific that says they do only USA based businesses. I'd often considered getting them to tag along with myself and my old boss for a few oil furnace cleanouts and installs.

i think TRL would make a great episode of DJ...except there was one episode during shark week where he actually went out with a dude who was welding maille for a shark suit.

They've been to africa at least once, and i'm fairly certain thats not in the US (of course Mike was filming for Shark week, which was the cause of the trip)

Yeah that was Jeremiah Sullivan from Neptunic - and the maille was our small mesh.

Not sure if they would find the way we make rings to be a dirty job, I've only watched a few episodes.

Yeah that was Jeremiah Sullivan from Neptunic - and the maille was our small mesh.

Not sure if they would find the way we make rings to be a dirty job, I've only watched a few episodes.

Just have him "sort" the floor sweepings -that will seem dirty enough (or at least my hands were as black as when I clean my fireplace) even though you don't actually sort them - :-D

When we do a major repair on a ring machine it looks like we went swimming in a tar pit. The day to day stuff is not horribly dirty but its gotta be dirtier then making Rum (on Jan 11th's episode). I'd be pretty psyched about TRL being on a Dirty Jobs show but I don't see any standard mechanism to put our name into the hat.

When we do a major repair on a ring machine it looks like we went swimming in a tar pit. The day to day stuff is not horribly dirty but its gotta be dirtier then making Rum (on Jan 11th's episode). I'd be pretty psyched about TRL being on a Dirty Jobs show but I don't see any standard mechanism to put our name into the hat.

I recently watched one where he spent the day at a glass blowing factory. Nothing dirty really bout what he was doing. It was more the interesting behind the scenes look, and a showcase of the talent needed to perform the tasks.