strhunter2

bracelets

what weave of bracelets do you tend to sell most of and are there any colour combos that people like to see together

thx

It really varies. Some people like chunky jewelry and some people like very flat jewelry. In my experience, women tend to like precious metals or very colorful jewelry, and most men like either silver tone or gold tone or dark colors.

It really varies. Some people like chunky jewelry and some people like very flat jewelry. In my experience, women tend to like precious metals or very colorful jewelry, and most men like either silver tone or gold tone or dark colors.

so the flat would be like jpl, half persian, spiral

then big and bulky full persian, box chain,byzintine

right?

so the flat would be like jpl, half persian, spiral

then big and bulky full persian, box chain,byzintine

right?

yes and no :)

hp 4 in 1 and byz done with 20g 1/8 rings would be delicate. i've sold many of them

hp 4 in 1 with 16 g 3/8 rings is big and chunky.

just like aura weave is really nice and delicate with smaller rings, but it just looks goofy and awkward as the rings get bigger.

the european weaves are beautiful as the rings get smaller, yet they maintain the same appearance as they get bigger. i get just as much attention drawn to my 16g 5/16 euro 6 in 1 bracelet as my wife's silver 20g 6 in 1 bracelet. most of that attention is from women wanting one for themselves meaning there are no real rules. it comes down to personal preference, the makeup of the crowd you're selling to. one style might sell like hotcakes one day, then be ignored the next. i'm sure alot of the folks who sell at festivals here could attest to that.

same goes for colour combos. I prefer blacks and reds, silvers and blues, sharp colours with lots of contrast....others prefer silvers and golds, colours that compliment each other.

what do you see at the jewellery stores? silvers, golds, rose golds...alot of similar colours that play off each other in subtle ways. That's one idea to appeal to the contemporary crowd.

on the flip side however, what i'm finding is people are really hitting up bold colours on their own and in combinations because they stand out, and they compliment alot of the modern fashion styles and trends.

My suggestion, if you're looking to do this for profit at faires/festivals/etc... is to make some of several weaves. it's a bit of an investment upfront, but worth it in the long haul. I only wish i had the disposable income to take my own advice lol I'm forced to do my work on commission for the most part with a very small stock in reserve relying on photographs of previous pieces to win more commissions.

sorry if this isn't much help to you lol. I basically told you it's a crapshoot. In my experience, byzantine in 20g 1/8 and 22g 5/32 rings sell very well for me. as do collars in euro 6in1. euro 4 in1 bias aka oops sells well too. stepping stones also sell well....don't ask which size though cause I still haven't quite nailed that one down to my satisfaction. there's a bit of experimentation.

Byz sells best, period. I sell more Byz Bracelets then everyother weave combined, Color is very personal but lately the colors seem to be mostly cool, blues, purples, etc.

yes and no :)

hp 4 in 1 and byz done with 20g 1/8 rings would be delicate. i've sold many of them

hp 4 in 1 with 16 g 3/8 rings is big and chunky.

just like aura weave is really nice and delicate with smaller rings, but it just looks goofy and awkward as the rings get bigger.

the european weaves are beautiful as the rings get smaller, yet they maintain the same appearance as they get bigger. i get just as much attention drawn to my 16g 5/16 euro 6 in 1 bracelet as my wife's silver 20g 6 in 1 bracelet. most of that attention is from women wanting one for themselves meaning there are no real rules. it comes down to personal preference, the makeup of the crowd you're selling to. one style might sell like hotcakes one day, then be ignored the next. i'm sure alot of the folks who sell at festivals here could attest to that.

same goes for colour combos. I prefer blacks and reds, silvers and blues, sharp colours with lots of contrast....others prefer silvers and golds, colours that compliment each other.

what do you see at the jewellery stores? silvers, golds, rose golds...alot of similar colours that play off each other in subtle ways. That's one idea to appeal to the contemporary crowd.

on the flip side however, what i'm finding is people are really hitting up bold colours on their own and in combinations because they stand out, and they compliment alot of the modern fashion styles and trends.

My suggestion, if you're looking to do this for profit at faires/festivals/etc... is to make some of several weaves. it's a bit of an investment upfront, but worth it in the long haul. I only wish i had the disposable income to take my own advice lol I'm forced to do my work on commission for the most part with a very small stock in reserve relying on photographs of previous pieces to win more commissions.

sorry if this isn't much help to you lol. I basically told you it's a crapshoot. In my experience, byzantine in 20g 1/8 and 22g 5/32 rings sell very well for me. as do collars in euro 6in1. euro 4 in1 bias aka oops sells well too. stepping stones also sell well....don't ask which size though cause I still haven't quite nailed that one down to my satisfaction. there's a bit of experimentation.

right now the only rings i have are 20gauge with a 5/32 id should i get diffrent size rings b4 i place my order?

?

you have 20g 5/32 and you're asking if you should get different rings BEFORE you order?

don't you usually order when you don't have rings...or need a different size?

women tend to like finer stuff. so 20 x 5/32 is probably great, you might wanna go even smaller like 22 x 5/32 but that's your call

?

you have 20g 5/32 and you're asking if you should get different rings BEFORE you order?

don't you usually order when you don't have rings...or need a different size?

women tend to like finer stuff. so 20 x 5/32 is probably great, you might wanna go even smaller like 22 x 5/32 but that's your call

then rings im using right now are made from cheap copper core wire and pinch cut probably should of said tht

then rings im using right now are made from cheap copper core wire and pinch cut probably should of said tht

Prolly need to go figure out what weaves you wanna use, and what size rings you want to use with them. There are simplely too many choices for us to give you the answers.

Another color combination that works well is gold and blue. With the copper that you have, you can possibly incorporate brass for a two tone, or add green stones.

You consider looking at Pantone's colors for spring?

http://www.pantone.com/pages/Pantone/Pantone.aspx?pg=20752&ca=4

They tend to be good predictors of the "hot" new colors for the upcoming year/season, and probably because they post their colors, and fashion designers (as well as graphic designers, artists, home decorators, etc) tend to use their color charts/products, etc. and follow suit.

The oranges and pinks are relatively new compared to the greens of last year, and blue still seems to hold its own, as well as grey, but overall, they seem to be lightening up, and looking a bit more "pastel-y" compared to last season's.

Maybe playing with a bit more golds, and softer colored stones might be the way to go... I suggest a variety of brass rings (or silver, which is a perennial favorite) in sizes 22-16 ga.

For stones, maybe some turquoise, amber, citrine, peridot, corals, apatite, carnelian, and rhodochrosite....

It's something to consider anyhow.

With weaves, Hp4-1 and Byzantine are easy and tend to be favorites and a lot of people on the board seem partial to JPL.

Personally, I'm kind of on a non-byzantine kick, mainly because I'm not so keen on the squarish chain that forms when you go tight with it (which I prefer over the shaggier version). Instead I'm hoping to play a bit more with orbital/capture weaves, and doing more persians as my standby... (i got a few watch faces that need bands, so I might try doing persian style sheets with them. To be honest, I've only really worked with chains before, sheet just adds to the complexity of keeping my "chains" facing the right direction, which always screws me up... hence my aversion to euro4-1 and its similar offspring). With captives, I'm hoping to experiment with my existing stock of rings to find a way to capture my existing bead stock in some different ways...

your wire is cheap copper pinch cut?? use it for practicing or toss it. if you want to sell quality made jewellery, get saw cut or saw cut your own. you definitely want to buy new stuff :P

your wire is cheap copper pinch cut?? use it for practicing or toss it. if you want to sell quality made jewellery, get saw cut or saw cut your own. you definitely want to buy new stuff :P

thats why im going to be placeing a order for AA and BA

thats why im going to be placeing a order for AA and BA

If you're going to do jewelry, I would avoid BA. It doesn't sell very well because it doesn't weigh enough. Go with stainless instead and then add colored rings of whatever metal to that. In my experience people tend to shy away from BA because it is so light. Everyone always comments "nice weight" when they hold stainless. Just a thought.

If you're going to do jewelry, I would avoid BA. It doesn't sell very well because it doesn't weigh enough. Go with stainless instead and then add colored rings of whatever metal to that. In my experience people tend to shy away from BA because it is so light. Everyone always comments "nice weight" when they hold stainless. Just a thought.

really i thought ppl would like it better if it was lighter

BA sells very well to women because although most of us like silver and other precious metals, stainless jewellery can get very heavy after wearing it a while. (Though I love my 20ga stainless elfweave bracelet!)

I've been selling jewellery for almost a year (at Renfests, conventions, piercing shops, etc.) and I've found that the BA and AA sells much more than stainless, copper, or bronze do. Probably 3 or 4 times as many pieces at least.

-Krys

BA sells very well to women because although most of us like silver and other precious metals, stainless jewellery can get very heavy after wearing it a while. (Though I love my 20ga stainless elfweave bracelet!)

I've been selling jewellery for almost a year (at Renfests, conventions, piercing shops, etc.) and I've found that the BA and AA sells much more than stainless, copper, or bronze do. Probably 3 or 4 times as many pieces at least.

-Krys

thx now i dont know what to belive :P

thx now i dont know what to belive :P

It really varies by the individual wearing it. I would say make a few options in a few metals. I think if the weave is interesting you will sell them no matter what metal. But have some lighter pieces and some heavier pieces.

the only reason i avoid aa if i can is because the anodizing will wear off after a while. i'm not rough on my stuff, but just the friction of the rings together wears the colour away.

the only reason i avoid aa if i can is because the anodizing will wear off after a while. i'm not rough on my stuff, but just the friction of the rings together wears the colour away.

Natural body oils also fade the color of AA over time.

A lot depends on the venue.

large stainless, brass, and bronze sell much better at biker rallys then church bazaars.

Colors vary with the region, seasons, and projects.

Usualy colors associated with local sports teams, or school colors do ok.

Pink does best in late Xeptember and October, with breast cancer awarness month.

A few local festivasl are run as fund razers.

If your go that route I would donate a % of that item to the cause.

Uh, i've got pretty corrosive body chemistry and I don't even wear the anodizing off. I think it might be more influenced by the environment. like if you work a maintenance type job where you're exposed to alot of caustics and corrosives.

Uh, i've got pretty corrosive body chemistry and I don't even wear the anodizing off. I think it might be more influenced by the environment. like if you work a maintenance type job where you're exposed to alot of caustics and corrosives.

It doesn't wear off the color, but I have seen it make the color change and dull.

Ok, let's shoot some things.

Annodization on aluminum is stunningly tough and resistant to things. Basicly annodizing creates a layer of Corundum on the surface. It's one of the hardest materials known. We all have a bunch of it around, it's the main thing used as grit on sand paper. Things designed to float in the ocean are annodized aluminum, Pots and pans are annodized aluminum. All of these encounter enviroments that make the human body look like a nice warm comfy bed. Your body chemistry will not take the annodization off aluminum. It MAY take the sealer off what ever is used to hold the dye in place, but I think mostly when the color's dull it's just dirty.

Ok, what DOES wear off the color then. Simple the answer is in the question. Wear. where the rings bounce off each other eventually they will take a bit of the surface with them. This is the main reason niobium tends to wear off it's color faster then aluminum or titanium i'm guessing.

Sales, Lost helm has it right.

it VERY much depends on the venue for what sells. Earlier this month I did two shows, An Anime Con (sorta, MEWcon) and 12th night with the SCA(in Eugene oregon, Ducks colors did very well). At Mewcon I sold almost exclusively aluminum braclets and earrings. Then at 12th night I sold almost exclusively Silver based work. It's important to know your markets and understand that sometimes you just need to bring a big fat selection and let the public decide what they want.

I won't even make peices out of stainless except on request, I don't trust the Nickel content. I find far too many people are allergic.

Weight of jewelery is a very personal choice. I have made sales with aluminum because it is light (especially earrings) and I have had people go with silver for the weight. Just because you like something doesn't mean the public agrees. And from a guy point of view, I get it wrong more then I get it right. (if you are a guy making jewelery, remember this)

Ok, let's shoot some things.

Annodization on aluminum is stunningly tough and resistant to things. Basicly annodizing creates a layer of Corundum on the surface. It's one of the hardest materials known. We all have a bunch of it around, it's the main thing used as grit on sand paper. Things designed to float in the ocean are annodized aluminum, Pots and pans are annodized aluminum. All of these encounter enviroments that make the human body look like a nice warm comfy bed. Your body chemistry will not take the annodization off aluminum. It MAY take the sealer off what ever is used to hold the dye in place, but I think mostly when the color's dull it's just dirty.

Ok, what DOES wear off the color then. Simple the answer is in the question. Wear. where the rings bounce off each other eventually they will take a bit of the surface with them. This is the main reason niobium tends to wear off it's color faster then aluminum or titanium i'm guessing.

Sales, Lost helm has it right.

it VERY much depends on the venue for what sells. Earlier this month I did two shows, An Anime Con (sorta, MEWcon) and 12th night with the SCA(in Eugene oregon, Ducks colors did very well). At Mewcon I sold almost exclusively aluminum braclets and earrings. Then at 12th night I sold almost exclusively Silver based work. It's important to know your markets and understand that sometimes you just need to bring a big fat selection and let the public decide what they want.

I won't even make peices out of stainless except on request, I don't trust the Nickel content. I find far too many people are allergic.

Weight of jewelery is a very personal choice. I have made sales with aluminum because it is light (especially earrings) and I have had people go with silver for the weight. Just because you like something doesn't mean the public agrees. And from a guy point of view, I get it wrong more then I get it right. (if you are a guy making jewelery, remember this)

I have had AA pieces yellow on me with repeated/constant wear. The color fades A LOT and turns yellowish. I attributed this to body oils. I don't know what else would cause it.