lorenzo

Pretty Flowers(update)

Just an FYI for anyone planning to make scale flowers, the new TRL anodized aluminum scales will not be colored on the edges or back face of the scale. If you want to make flowers better buy the scales for them now. Once they're gone, they're gone. I guess that puts the final nail in the coffin of the flower kits idea as well.

G'day!

Lorenzo - isn't that a bit of a tease by making such impressive times, then saying they can't be made anymore?

There are other sources of colored scales with all parts colored. Feel free to PM me about it.

Dave

Just so you know, the new anodized aluminum scales will be superior to the old ones in almost every other way. I think it would be extremely counter productive to petition against innovating to make better products. Also as Norse Dave mentioned there is another source for colored scales, I'm sure he would be more than happy to help with that.

G'day!

I fully agree with lorenzo that it would not be a wise thing to petition progress. I would also like to add that without talented people like Jon, Bernice, lorenzo, Raige, David Austin and many other people posting their new creations here, chainmaille as an art would not progress. I would like to thank them for sharing their talents, and helping new people appreciate what is possible with metal.

Dave

Please note also... As a solution to upgrading the percentage of the old style scales that could be used I discovered that Sharpie markers came very close to an exact match on several of the scale colors. A bit time consuming but you can color the edges and the complete back with them. Let it set overnight and the color doesn't tumble off even. Also opens up venues for those with more artistic talent to actually try to duplicate exact color patterns from real flowers. Just a thought... I've a lot of the old style scales left and may well save them for flowers while purchasing the new style scales for my bra/bikini tops and pouches. Looking forward to the new scales myself...

TML

Has anyone come up with a tutorial? I've been trying to do it for the past 45 minutes, and I can't seem to get the damn thing to work.

~Brian

Oh god, a tut got posted long long ago... Right around the peak of the scale flower craze...

I have a printed copy at home somewhere, I'll see if I can't find the thread on here.

Edit: Hmmm, nope... It seems the topic in question has been purged... Or at least, my search skills aren't what they once were...

I'll dig up the paper copy I have when I get home tonight, and pester the author to repost... And/Or I'll do a step-by-step myself...

Either way, basic flower tut coming.

I went looking for the scale flower tutorial I saw a few weeks back and found -http://www.theringlord.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36103

I'm not sure if it the correct thread, but it looks to be useful.

Once you've got the flower done, the stem is easy if you can do inverted round. Use 20g 1/8, and insert a captive ring every 2 or 3 segments to keep it stiff. The tough part is positioning the scales for the leaves with a captive ring to keep them in place.

Gaanon

I know about that tutorial. I just want to be able to make it without those big rings, like Lorenzo's flowers are. The ones with the big rings looks odd or unfinished, unlike Lorenzo's

~Brian

I know about that tutorial. I just want to be able to make it without those big rings, like Lorenzo's flowers are. The ones with the big rings looks odd or unfinished, unlike Lorenzo's

~Brian

You'll just have to examine it carefully ;)

Lorenzo's been mum on the entire subject.

I had trouble getting good pictures of mine, I put all the steps together and sent them off to spider who was supposed to photograph them for the tutorial. So go harass HER if you want a tutorial. :P

One of the guys from work(Raige Darkmire) Recently made a solid silver flower that is absolutely fantastic, better than mine, you could also bug him to post another tutorial.