tha_joeffy

Help with dragon scale

alrighty folks, i'm working on a pair of dragon scale bracers for a friend. he wants black stainless rings used. i placed an order using a suggested ring size of 18g 1/4 and 16g 3/8. now while these work fairly well, he has expressed that the pattern was "kinda small looking". can anyone suggest larger ring sizes that i might use for the pattern? i dont mind switching to Alum if i need to for the sizes. id like to use a 14g 1/2 or 12g 1/2 for the large rings if i can.

thanks for your help ).gif

I typically use rings with an AR of 5 and 7 in the same gauge.

With two different gauges, you MIIIIIGHT be able to get away with 16ga 1/4 and 14 ga 7/16 in black stainless, but I'd wait to see what others might recommend.

Typically said is to use a minimum of 4.1 AR small rings, and 6.6-6.8 large rings with the small rings able to slip easily through the big rings, and yet come as close as possible to filling the hole of the large.

To defend my position on same gauge, ARs of around 5 and 7 to the rest of the community, it just simplifies matters greatly. 5 for small gives a nice round number with a looser, slinkier weave, and the 7 is 2 greater than 5 (meaning it should pass through perfectly). It just really really works well as a rule of thumb.

***Edited to correct a typo***

Edited by The Postindustrialist

alrighty folks, i'm working on a pair of dragon scale bracers for a friend. he wants black stainless rings used. i placed an order using a suggested ring size of 18g 1/4 and 16g 3/8. now while these work fairly well, he has expressed that the pattern was "kinda small looking". can anyone suggest larger ring sizes that i might use for the pattern? i dont mind switching to Alum if i need to for the sizes. id like to use a 14g 1/2 or 12g 1/2 for the large rings if i can.

thanks for your help ).gif

I know 16g 5/16" and 18g 7/32" work well. There's not much stretch with these rings, but the weave is doable.

If you want it to be stretchier, you could try 16g 7/16" and 18 1/4". Those should work well.

Everyone continues to mention using two wire gauges for dragonscale. The most desirable results I've obtained use one wire gauge in two ring sizes. Small rings in the weave should run at 3.8-3.9 AR ideally eg; 19g AWG at 9/64" and the large rings should run 5.8-5.9 so 19g AWG 27/128". These numbers are after spring back and will make a very supple flexible weave.

I prefer using 2 gauges making DS as it emphasizes the large rings and the small ring look better if in a contrasting colours. It is personal preference.

Movak

I've done dragon scale in a couple different sizes. The best one I've found (and the fastest) has been using 16 gauge 5/16" ID stainless steel for the small rings and 12 gauge 1/2" ID stainless for the large rings (I used blackened stainless in the picture i've attached below which I think looks extra cool). This lets you use the 12 gauge 1/2" rings you wanted to use and it would be a great response to "kinda small looking". lol, if he wants big, that's big.

~Stevepost-3758-0-01786600-1305157600_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ninjafudo