fng2maille

Maximum sizr/AR for HP 4:1

I have not been here for a while. Deteriorating eye sight and blood pressure meds have taken a lot of my weaving motivation. I still love Maille but...It hurts not being able to weave. Getting older is not a lot of fun but the alternative is not all that enticing ether.<G>

Tonight we say what looked lime HP 4:1 on a series on the BBC America. Anyway the rings looked to be 3/32" and about 3/4" which gives an AR of about 8.33.

It got me to wondering of there is a maximum AR for HP 4:1 after which the rings will not hold their shape?

Thank you

Mike

I have not been here for a while. Deteriorating eye sight and blood pressure meds have taken a lot of my weaving motivation. I still love Maille but...It hurts not being able to weave. Getting older is not a lot of fun but the alternative is not all that enticing ether.<G>

Tonight we say what looked lime HP 4:1 on a series on the BBC America. Anyway the rings looked to be 3/32" and about 3/4" which gives an AR of about 8.33.

It got me to wondering of there is a maximum AR for HP 4:1 after which the rings will not hold their shape?

Thank you

Mike

That would depend on the metal, not the weave. If you used stainless and welded the rings shut I'm sure you could go up to an AR of 20 without trouble.

That would depend on the metal, not the weave. If you used stainless and welded the rings shut I'm sure you could go up to an AR of 20 without trouble.

I thought the same as I first read this and pulled out some 10AR stainless 14g(2mm) 3/14(20mm) rings to give it a go. I scolded myself for not trying it before as it would make a nice belt or strap. It was a mess. The rings are just so loose that they float and lose the symmetry of a tighter AR. I haven't experimented further but would estimate closer to an AR of 6 would be in a more appealing range. That doesn't eliminate the potential of rings large enough to suit your needs but the material choice could make it a wrist buster.