All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. bjorn

New to this looking for pointers

The family set off a few and then we drove off to see what was on offer and it seemed to be every single firework in existence was being lit off. I would imagine the firefighters would be used to brush fires out in cali.
  3. Konstantin the Red

...but the Red Rat-Chaser stunt until the tank's out of pressure is just plain too exciting. Fireworks sellers probably don't traffic in rat-chasers any more. Hard to imagine a firework more likely to set the grass and bushes burning than a rocket that doesn't fly and throws sparks just to add to the entertainment, and they can't guarantee these things will only be lit on big slabs of pavement. As it is, we had numerous grass fires this end of California for the Fourth -- numerous, but not really large because of the excellence of our fire departments. But only some, maybe even just a few, fireworks injuries.
  4. Konstantin the Red

Coif collar

However, non-transitional (not the bascinet-jupon-type) armor continued, with items like the Wallace A2 -- that ca. 1438 shirt -- being preserved, and largely intact, and not atypical of military foot soldier armor of the era, which was the European era of the armored infantryman, with steel on him and a headpiece as well. 1438 is decades later than the transitional era you're speaking of, and hence I doubt it can be so closely linked to the end of the transitional-plate period of harness as you seem to be speaking of. And there are the mail pieces such as sleeves in the Johannes Landesmuseum in Graz, Austria. Those pieces are in very good shape, not discarded nor corroded too much -- they would be sixteenth century, likely. Issued to pikemen? Plus other mail armor, generally shirts of some kind, remaining steadily in use in non-European contexts throughout the nineteenth century, notably in Africa and central Asia/Caucasus. Africa/East Africa is well attested to -- the last major battle mail was fielded in Africa was with the Mahdi's forces at Omdurman, 1898. Written about in English, and so, easily accessible to the Anglophone world for a century now. Though I figure the mail of Omdurman was not salvaged off its dead wearers; this was the beginning of the age of the Maxim gun -- and East Africa knew it. Might have been nice from a museum-collection point of view to have taken some sample shirts off the casualties, but I've not heard this was done. Not in African heat and all those corpses to clean up. As late as the very early seventeenth century, mail sleeves were shipped across the Atlantic to Virginia because somebody thought they might be useful fighting Indians equipped with hand weapons and bows. Presumably, the sleeves were in serviceable condition. They were tried a little bit, but found not actually useful -- weighed you down and didn't do enough protectively -- and were discarded in the colonial trash, not shipped back to England. I believe no remnant remains. A shirt legendarily slipped through from sixteenth-century Spanish rule of Mexico into Plains Indians hands. At least, we think it might have been in the sixteenth. Details are scant.
  5. ShadeXSlayer

Aluminum - Bright

What's the ETA for the saw cut 16ga 5/16?
  6. ShadeXSlayer

Brass

When will the saw cut 18ga 3/16 will be restocked?
  7. Keith

Titanium - Anodized and Plain

Hey Jodey, what’s the latest on the SXTI18316mix please.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Samix

Anodized Aluminum

W-JSAA18Gold - ETA on the restock for this o:?
  10. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Scales - all materials and sizes

The ones we have stock for have been updated.
  11. Dantesfreezer

Is there an ETA on the KIT-ScaleBra in any color?
  12. Last week
  13. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Anodized Aluminum

ETA 1 to 2 months
  14. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

No ETA on tiny scales; at least 2 to 3 months on small mixed.
  15. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

We're looking into the raw material for these. I'll get back to you when I have an answer.
  16. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Aluminum - Bright

There was an issue with the finish that we were unhappy with and the new supplier is looking into it. We want to sell good quality rings, so until this is fixed we will not have an ETA on these rings.
  17. Snakebite

Aluminum - Bright

there has been no ETA for months, i thought the new process/supplier would make it easier and faster for you guys to keep stock?
  18. Kittensoft_Chainmail

WTB micromaille wedding rings

I'd think a Persian 3in1 would work better. I've made rings in this weave with 20 ga. 1/8" ID & 18 ga. 3.16" ID. The 20 ga. rides close to the finger and is comfortable for long term (my wife for one for a month straight) comfortably. The 18 ga. rings feel a little bulky between the fingers. Either way, getting the rings to fit correctly can be tricky, between finger size & ring size, sometimes you can't get a perfect fit. Also as TitaniumMithril, you'd have to solder the rings and they're soft metals, so can deform really easily. I hope this helps. 😎
  19. lorenzo

Coif collar

I'm fairly certain that the phenomenon you're describing is only a result of the transitional period of armor having ended about 600 years ago. Mail armor has never been accorded a high cultural value and was generally just considered obsolete and discarded or re-purposed at that time. From my discussions with staff at the Royal Armouries it's my understanding that this was common practice even by museum curators up until the mid 20th century.
  20. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Tags - all materials and sizes

ETA at least 2 months.
  21. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Aluminum - Bright

There is no ETA on any black stainless at this time.
  22. scycee

Anodized Aluminum

SXAA18316silver - any good news on this being in stock soon? Thank you and Best Wishes!
  23. Snakebite

Aluminum - Bright

what is the ETA on Black Stainless 3/8, and 7/16?
  24. TitaniumMithril

WTB micromaille wedding rings

perhaps you know already, but 24ga gold or silver would have to be soldered and would still misform relatively quickly. i use 20ga titanium and still assume i'll need to re-make it every couple years.
  25. bjorn

Coif collar

Haven't worked up the courage yet to actually buy a set. I have the chanter to practice songs and stuff but not the whole bag. Also thought you were building a bomb at first the ingredients just sounded like Macgyver for some reason.
  26. bjorn

Fair point. I do transport gasses for work all the time didn't even think about that. And I've seen what a tank can do to things not pretty. Well the fireball has a beauty to it I suppose.
  27. bjorn

Other types of armor

I've seen the belt pattern was it comfortable? And its really more like wondering if people think it's even a viable option. Might grab like a thrift store suit coat and mess around with it. How to incorporate it that sort of thing.
  28. I'd like to buy two wedding rings in micromaille. I'm thinking 24g Persian 4-1, but not certain; considerations are e.g. texture, durability, feeling during finger compression / hand squeeze, safety, and cross-section thickness. I've personally made a P4-1 silver necklace and bracelet, which I love, but in more standard size; I don't have the physical skill to do micro. I would like to deal with someone experienced at micromaille who'd be willing to send different weave samples to try out (to be returned of course), either made in a cheap material (eg stainless steel) or already in inventory, before committing to a commission (which'd be probably gold and/or silver). Please give a link to prior work if you're interested or if you know a good candidate. Not urgent. I would also appreciate comments from those of you who've worn a micromaille ring long term on what weave/gauge you have and what it feels like.
  1. Load more activity