All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. MajorThor

Stainless Steel - Black and Plain

After reading their reply I cleared my online cart because those rings were the primary reason why I was placing an order. There's no reason to shop here when they can't maintain their stock.
  3. Agorphia

Anodized Aluminum

Any ETA for SXAA18316silver? Thank you!
  4. Konstantin the Red

Newb Help with Persian 4 in 1

So, nine days on, what cheer? The archived Trevor Barker shirt how-to, which copies a very complete 15th-century German shirt (from a historically known Ringharnischer resident in Hamburg, no less (he took out a business license there in 1438)) and demonstrates that making a shirt wasn't terribly involved from a layout viewpoint, is a very good recipe for a shirt that works. Others are possible and many modern maillers have undertaken them, but it seems historical shirts did not stray far from what's in the Trevor Barker. What I draw from the thing is that mailshirts were modular. They seem to have been assembled from an inventory of pre-made rectangles, squares, and expansion arrays, all put together as required when an order was placed. With so much of the prep work done beforehand, producing a shirt to fit a client, either personally present or hypothetical for an armory, was quick -- in the end. Assembling the rectangles, etc., was the slow part. Mailshirt sizing seems about like t-shirt sizing, S/M/L/XL. That's figuring a rather generous value of S/M/L to allow for a padded jacket underneath the shirt -- the other component of mail armor systems. A pullover mailshirt needs its slack so you can first get the durn thing on, then can move with freedom and vigor wearing it -- fighting, you know -- and then the business of getting the shirt off again. This features bending way over and wiggling your butt while dragging at the shirt by the neckhole to get all that metal off over your head and puddled on the ground in front of you. Mail is extremely draggy over any body prominence, especially those covered in absorbent, padded quilting. You need to use gravity's aid.
  5. Myzanaki

Scales - all materials and sizes

Hi, Do you have any ETA on when you may have SCALEAALG-BRONZE Thank You
  6. Last week
  7. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Aluminum - Bright

We will restock a bit early to mid next week. Full restock will be about 3 weeks.
  8. Chiquilin

Making electrical wire non-tarnishing

Thank you for the ideas. The stuff is kinda thick. Decorations, keychains, lampshades are much more practice. I saw a chandelier kinda like a teardrop earing supporting a 4 ft diameter bowl.
  9. Serenity in Chains

Aluminum - Bright

ETA of Saw Cut BA 16G 1/4in ID?
  10. liriel

Making electrical wire non-tarnishing

Not wearing the copper directly on skin might really be the only way. How big is the wire? What are you planning to do with it? If you are thinking armor rather than jewellry, then it should be fine if you wear clothes under the armor (as one should). Just keep in mind that copper is rather heavy and soft. Most people use it for trim only on armor. Making the whole piece with it is unusual and not very practical. Things like keychains or decorating pieces (wall hangings, lampshades, etc) would also be fine, as they are not much in contact with skin.
  11. Konstantin the Red

Cutting smooth small rings.

Leave the coil on a mandrel while you cut.
  12. TitaniumMithril

Shiny vs. Matte Titanium in 1/2 finished hauberk

this was discussed just a bit ago. check it out here: Matte vs. Shiny Titanium
  13. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

Niobium - Anodized, black and raw

We no longer make black niobium. There is a video on our Youtube channel showing how to make it.
  14. Rumdiddlyumm

Niobium - Anodized, black and raw

Looking for either a Count on, or an ETA on Saw cut Niobium 16 Gauge, 3/16 dia in BLACK (SXNO16316Black) I need Approx 350-360 rings Thanks in advance
  15. Good day everyone. I started working on a hauberk made of 16 ga, 1/4" titanium rings back in the beginning of 2018. I've made admittedly slow progress, but am probably about 16,000 rings in at this point. The problem I have is that the current batch of rings (and wire) from TRL is considerably more shiny than all of the other rings I've purchased for this project. The difference is akin to older galv. steel vs. stainless steel (though not quite that intense). The moral is they definitely wouldn't look right being on side-by-side on a piece this size. My question to the community is, "help?" Since the current stock of rings for the foreseeable future will be shiny, I need to do one of the following: Polish my existing assembled piece of armor to match the newer rings Somehow make the newer batch(es) of rings more dull to match the assembled armor A combination of the above. I sincerely appreciate any suggestions. The idea of starting all over again is depressing to say the least. Thank you!
  16. Total newbie. Knows nothing but YouTube videos. Totally broke too. My friend gave me about 400lbs of electrical wire, so I figured why not. What can I do to it to make the copper not turn skin green? Thanx for any help and please don't laugh too hard or shake your head too much.
  17. Rob MacLennan

You need a rig that will hold the coil in place while cutting and that will let you cut the whole coil in one go. You could either build something (I did), or use a commercial solution like a Koil Kutter.
  18. Spenkmage

Titanium - Anodized and Plain

Has there been any update on the ETA of the titanium strip? Also, are there any plans to produce/offer large color-specific anodized titanium scales, similar to the small ones? Thanks!
  19. Jaxadus

Typically I'd use a dremel tool to cut my rings, but now I'm using a much smaller gauge wire, and the dremel's cutting disk does more harm than good. Either it shoots the across the room, or it catches and puts a gash in several rings. Any suggestions? Also, dont th suggesting snips because I'm aiming for smooth edges, not the pinch that snips cause.
  20. Earlier
  21. Head Lizard

Anodized Aluminum

When will SXAA1614orange and SXMA1614Red be restocked? I have a large order I would like to place but I need 2 bags or orange and 6 of the red. I am willing to place the order for everything now and wait until they come in to ship as I have no deadline, but the project requires three limited colors and I don't want them to run out.
  22. Twisterlj

Stainless Steel - Black and Plain

I too have been waiting and waiting for SB16516. I do lots in SB, and there were several sizes out of stock not long ago, those all got restocked, but not the 16 5/16.... :(
  23. xbitgeek

Irregular Grid Painter

I saw your inlay. That's awesome! I've slowed down on this until I know more about how to get the image to IGP without screwing it up. The image is only one color and is of a dragon head. I can resize and post it later today. Thanks for your help!
  24. xbitgeek

Newb Help with Persian 4 in 1

Thanks for the info Konstantin. I have gotten better with closing the links on the size I'll be using for this project. I've also purchased better pliers to save on my hands and allow for longer weaving. Currently, I have the cheap ones from TRL. Before I start, I'll need to do a bit more reading on how to layout the shirt etc. Thanks again.
  25. Jodey - TRL Tier 2 Support

The strip was ordered and will not arrive here for 6 to 8 weeks, then we will make the scales. This means around October at the latest.
  26. xbitgeek

18 gauge 3/16

Ok. Took another go at this and I agree with your last statement TitaniumMithril. I don't believe this to be something I am doing. I can align all the other rings I have nicely. Even the 18g 3/16 anodized that I have. This is an issue with the ring. I will probably toss them. I'll order more if I decide to do something with that size. I'm hoping this is just a bad batch as I'd hate to have to figure out how to correct this. Thanks for the help and info.
  27. Scalemailer77

I´m bit confussed.....a couple months? Don´t missunderstood me, but what takes you month´s for this? Can´t you order new strip at the rigth time the produced scales came nearly out of stock? Sounds like they avaible on the new year... 😕 😕
  28. So I am relatively new to chainmailling and have only been at it for a year, but I love the orbital/byzantine weave infusion. The only tutorials for it I can find online is a class for $60 and a pdf of it for $5 but I don't like the chunky rings they use. I would just like to make two bracelets, the byzantine rings being 20g 1/8" and the larger bracelet being 16g 7/32". I just need help with what size of rings would be able to orbit these weaves well enough for proper movement. An example of what I'd like to do is attached.
  1. Load more activity